Ambulance wont start 3rd party regulators

idiambulance

Reaction score
I have a 6.9 IDI with an ambulance body. In the fall It died unexpectedly in the driveway. I thought it was a issue with the Fuel shutoff solenoid so I replaced it. When I tried starting it the next time my glow plug controller started smoking so I replaced it. When I tried to start it the next time it would pull amperage like the glow plugs are heating and then the amperage would drop however it refused to turn over at all. It only made a single click sound. I had it towed to a shop. They are saying they need to replace two regulators (L5078V04120 located on firewall and L77973hd07120) both of which they cant find anywhere. Does this seem right would there be something aftermarket installed that would cause it to not be able to start. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. On a factory Ford application those regulators don't exist. Does yours have 1 or 2 alternators? Even with the alternators disconnected, it should still fire off. I would check fusible links first. Regulators are only used after the engine is running.

idiambulance

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. On a factory Ford application those regulators don't exist. Does yours have 1 or 2 alternators? Even with the alternators disconnected, it should still fire off. I would check fusible links first. Regulators are only used after the engine is running.
Thats what I was thinking when I brought it in I mentioned it could be a fusible link as well. I will have to double check with them that they tested the wiring.

idiambulance

Reaction score
sorry for the double message. I dont exactly understand what the function of these regulators would be. Do they just keep the engine from running when some value like oil pressure is too low or high? does it have the ability to turn the engine off?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I looked up the part number you posted, it looks like an external alternator voltage regulator. Completely unnecessary for starting and running of the engine.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in factory form, but who knows what kind of aftermarket stuff someone could have added. Easy way to test that would be a hot wire from battery + to the fsv.

James

idiambulance

Reaction score
I looked up the part number you posted, it looks like an external alternator voltage regulator. Completely unnecessary for starting and running of the engine.
can you share the link. I wasnt able to find anything about either of those model numbers. I greatly appreciate it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.9 IDI with an ambulance body. In the fall It died unexpectedly in the driveway. I thought it was a issue with the Fuel shutoff solenoid so I replaced it. When I tried starting it the next time my glow plug controller started smoking so I replaced it. When I tried to start it the next time it would pull amperage like the glow plugs are heating and then the amperage would drop however it refused to turn over at all. It only made a single click sound. I had it towed to a shop. They are saying they need to replace two regulators (L5078V04120 located on firewall and L77973hd07120) both of which they cant find anywhere. Does this seem right would there be something aftermarket installed that would cause it to not be able to start. any help would be greatly appreciated.
If it refuses to turn over you are going to have a battery problem, a battery connection problem, or a starter problem. Make sure it's out of gear or in park, and get out and jump the small terminal on the starter solenoid to the battery +. It should try to crank over.