Ummm,how do I break the news.....Gulp

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I tried my hand at a newer less tortured Super 10 I might like it better.

Yes the Super 10 takes a little to get used to and it's definatly not for beginners, they get thrashed pretty good by student drivers in the big fleet companies.

It's one of those trannies you either love or hate, there is no inbetween with this one.

It's pretty much the same as shifting the top half of a 13 speed and once you learn it you'll love it.

I had one in my '99 Pete extended hood behind a 500 Cummins N14 and that thing would top about any grade with ease at 65 mph @ 80,000 lbs simply by flicking the button, ease off the fuel to let it shift and then hammer on it to get the turbo really working.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Freighttrain, If you lived in my neck of the woods I'd be volunteering to help you with this conversion project. I can see one of the conversions in my future.
As far as the 7.3 being less expensive to repair-- I wouldn't know. I've spent a few $ on repairs on the wife's 7.3 but all I've had to do to my Cummins is change the oil and filters. Besides, you don't need no stinkin' glow plugs.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing that I Like most about the Cummins is that its a strait six. That is about the best motor configuration in the world.