Ultimate score today. GV and Dual range

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL nope no ticket but ill get one. im gonna use the dual range in my truck the gv i want to sell. Is there anyway to find out if its an overdrive or underdrive on the dual range . I know the GV is an overdrive for sure. Thanks guys i think i did very well.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
THEY CALL UNDER/OVER CAUSE YOU USE IT AS A GEAR BETWEEN 2 AND D NOT JUST A FINAL DRIVE GEAR. OVER 30-35 I THINK IS THE RANGE ( I AM NOT BEING ARGUMENTIVE PLEASE DONT TAKE IT THAT WAY)

Please turn off the caps,..IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING,...:D

They make them as an overdrive,...or Underdrive. Yes with both you can split the gears and thus the term under/over, however the Underdrive can not be used as an overdrive.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i pulled the number off the name tag and googled it nothing came up. The only thing i can think of to find out if it underdrive or overdrive it to give it 12v power and let the motor engauge the planatery set and see if it spins slower or faster. or take it apart and manually engage the shifter. Idk what else to do. Another question if its an overdrive i can split b/w 3rd and 4th right it would be 3rd over?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are putting this behind a close ratio T-19 (making the assumption from your sig), 3rd over is basically the same as direct (within a few decimals). With that dual range, you can split 1/2 and 2/3, but 3rd gets you nothing. The good thing about the dual range units is that they are gear driven with an electric shifter and can be engaged at any speed unlike the Gear Vender that uses hyd pressure from an output shaft driven pump. On my dad's truck, you can only split the 2/3 and run in 4th over. You can't go fast enough in 1st to be able to split the 1/2.
Travis..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the US gear unit is indeed an OD before you sell the GV. Jim at US Gear told me that the number of marks on the box where the input gear goes in is what tells you which is which. Give him a call, and he will talk you through it. He's a very nice and patient guy. Also I think the O/D gear on the dual range is not as steep as the GV. I want to say the GV is .71 or .73:1 and the US Gear is .8:1

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah i think id rather the dual range if it turns out to be a UD unit. The gv unit bolts to the back of the tcase but i have to replace the back half of the case to make it jive.

Its in the market place.

swuchase1

Reaction score
Please turn off the caps,..IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING,...:D

They make them as an overdrive,...or Underdrive. Yes with both you can split the gears and thus the term under/over, however the Underdrive can not be used as an overdrive.

sorry