uhaul ip bad out the box ?

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just installed my ip i bought form u haul. it will not prime i have a epump on the truck for priming. im am geting fuel going in but none comeing out the injector lines. what i have done so far remove the hex bolt on the passnger side no fuel cam out with the epump going left it like that for about 3 min befor screwing it back in i did turn it up 2 flats befor i installed it the fss dose click i have have ran a jump wire to the battery didnt make a diff im at wits ens at this point

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove the check valve on top of the pump. See if fuel comes out when you run the electric pump. Try holding the injection pump wide open when cranking too. I jumper the fender solenoid and hold wide open the injection pump when I'm bleeding air from the system. Last week when I installed my Moose pump from the sealed container after months of non use it would pump fuel thru it either... I even had the top check valve off when cranking and bleeding the air. I was getting fuel to the injectors but none out the top of the open pump...:dunno It did finally start but I had replaced the check valve first..... Fue fuel would have been squirting me in the face if it was to start while I was up on the front of the engine....:eek::angel:

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok the check vauvle it the bolt with the allen head bolt inside for it on the drive side rear of the ip

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i have done that allready it dribles some fuel very little

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welll great... Fuel coming out the top of the pump tells me its flooding the pump with fuel... Now its just getting the air out of the system.... Just hold the injection pump wide open when cranking to purge the air... If the hard lines to the injectors are tight after some cranking crack them open and listen and look for air and fuel bubbles escaping. tighten them and crank more.... It will purge. holding the pump wide open hurrys up this purging because more fuel goes thru the lines at full throttle settinga... Very little gets pushed to the injectors at idle settings...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Also, is it clicking when you hit the key? If the selonoid is bad, the IP could still work.

SWS

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should also add a health dose of fuel lube as well. The metering valve may stick on an IP that has sat for a while. When that happens, the engine will die after decel while driving or just reving it in the driveway.

Heath

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By removing that hex plug on the passenger side, hopefully you didn't screwup the pump. That is the head locking plug, if rotated while the plug was out, it may have damaged the pump.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should also add a health dose of fuel lube as well. The metering valve may stick on an IP that has sat for a while. When that happens, the engine will die after decel while driving or just reving it in the driveway.

Heath

I put a reman pump on my dad's truck that was sitting around for quite a while, and did the rev it up and die thing. I did clear itself though, and ran fine. To prime it, I just cracked all of the lines at the injectors and had my buddy crank it until fuel started to move. Then I snugged up the ones that were squirting, and it fired and ran enough for the others to to start moving fuel. Once all of the lines were snug, it ran fine.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I was gonna say "hex bolt?" You mean one of the two that hold the hydraulic head to the pump body? :eek: Fuel is NOT supposed to come out there, and you certainly shouldn't be just tanking things apart if you don't know what your doing.