Turned Fuel screw to max, waste gate adjusting??

Big Boss Hoss

Reaction score
So today i finally turned up the fuel screw maxed it out. now i see about 9.5 pounds of boost before 8.5 pounds of boost. When i rebuilt the turbo i bench tested it for 11 pounds before the wastegate comes on. barely any black smoke just a small puff under load going up a hill. Do i need more fuel to make more boost???? would like to see 10 pounds. Oh yeah i never see more then 800 on the pyro.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these numbers pulling a substantial load? or running at or close to empty. If empty I'd say you are probably in good shape where you're at. If loaded you need more fuel.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go hook up to a big trailer and let-er-rip. You'll have all the black smoke you could want I'm sure.;Really

Or, just make arrangements with Mel (Agnem) to get a moose pump. You won't be concerned about a lack of fuel then.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a question along these same lines. I just finished up my turbo installation (hypermax) and I didn't touch the fuel yet. So I have been out testing and climbing long grades I can get the temps up to 1100+ if I really work at it (and about 7 psi). Now it doesn't smoke at all (that I can see), N/A it used to smoke a bit and get hot (not sure what the pyro number was, didn't have one).
My primary reason for this install was that I live at 5000 feet and climbing out of town I can see up to 9000 or more, not only did the power suffer, but I had to watch the black smoke and the engine temp to avoid problems.
So my question is when you guys turn it up and are gettin smoke, are you gettin high exhaust temps too, or do I need to look again at timing etc to put more fuel in. I am actually pretty happy with the current situation since it will now pull the hills better and I don't have to watch like a hawk for impending meltdown, and if I lend it out I won't have to worry too much.
JwS

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say no black smoke means you're burning all the fuel you have, but at EGT 1100 you really don't have much room to play. If you were at sea level or close you'd still have a lot of room, its one of the curses of the higher elevation.

Big Boss Hoss

Reaction score
not getting much higher exhaust temps then before screwing it in 100+ degrees, so i'm burning all my fuel up, i need some more i guess.... moose pump???

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose Pump is a good idea. But consider that my NA truck with a healthy reman and not turned up will hit 1100 empty no problem. You could just be suffering from a worn out pump. I don't know the history here but it's probably just a little weak.

That said if you have to replace it then no reason not to get a Moose Pump.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am guessing that pre-turbo I was a little overfueled and was running hot, but now I seem to be burning it all.
As I understand the turbo should compensate for altitude, so I should be running as if I am at sea level. As I understand the turbine wheel meets less resistance in the thinner air and so it will spin a little faster and should pack in the same amount of air as it did at sea level. I'm not sure this is a direct relationship, but I think it should work that way. That is why they work so well in aircraft, they automatically compensate for the thinner air up there.
So I guess I am wondering if you guys who are adjusted to smoke a bit, do your temps stay within a safe range even under full smoke?
JwS

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am guessing that pre-turbo I was a little overfueled and was running hot, but now I seem to be burning it all.
As I understand the turbo should compensate for altitude, so I should be running as if I am at sea level. As I understand the turbine wheel meets less resistance in the thinner air and so it will spin a little faster and should pack in the same amount of air as it did at sea level. I'm not sure this is a direct relationship, but I think it should work that way. That is why they work so well in aircraft, they automatically compensate for the thinner air up there.
So I guess I am wondering if you guys who are adjusted to smoke a bit, do your temps stay within a safe range even under full smoke?
JwS
According to the manual for my Banks, the fuel should be turned up about 1-2 flats of the allen wrench (1/6-1/3 of a turn) IIRC. The turbo was installed by the previous owner, so I don't know exactly how much it was turned up, BUT, pulling a 4k load up a 12% grade I get about ~10 psi boost, a slight haze of black when it starts to lug down a little, and my EGT's climb right up to the limit - which is 1150* for where the pyro probe is installed - according to the manual.

I figure it must be set about right. Black smoke is unburned fuel, and I haven't quite figured out yet why anyone wants more of that. Fuel is expensive enough without pushing any of it unburned out the tailpipe. It may look cool, but it is a waste of expensive fuel, so it isn't worth - or at least not to me anyway. I know one guy with a newer truck that is just so PROUD of all the black smoke he makes every time he stomps on the pedal - and I just laugh at him.

If your EGTs are getting up to or near the limit, or if you're making anything more than a light haze of black smoke under load and boost, then you're getting enough fuel for the amount of boost your turbo is making under the conditions.

If your EGTs are staying low (<1000*), you're seeing NO black smoke even when loaded and boosting as much as it is able, and the boost is still low, then in your shoes I'd try turning it up NO MORE than 1/2 a flat at a time - until the EGTs get to within 50* of the limit, and/or it starts making a haze of black smoke pulling hard.

Just my $0.02 - but then you have to remember I'm too cheap to waste fuel trying to look like the cool kids bellowing big clouds of black smoke ;)

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go and hook up to a loaded trailer and you will find out how much boost you can make, and probably hit the max egt too. 10 psi is the max that I've seen with mine, and it's hard to see that empty. With the moose pump and the intercooler the highest egt i've seen was 1050. Yesterday I came up a 1.5 mile 6% hill wot and only saw 1000 on the pyro and 10 psi of boost, was going 45 at the bottom and hit 80 mph at the top of the hill.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even without a trailer I have a decent load on, probably 8-9K lbs total, in addition when I am checking things I go on a long climb where I can floor it for an extended period, so I should see pretty much max psi. My pyro is mounted before the turbo a few inches below the manifold, standard hypermax location. I don't know where the fuel screw is set, it has a rebuilt pump by a previous owner and things may have been played with.
I am wondering if the timing is still not quite there, it is tough to check on a van using the timing light setup.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go and hook up to a loaded trailer and you will find out how much boost you can make, and probably hit the max egt too. 10 psi is the max that I've seen with mine, and it's hard to see that empty. With the moose pump and the intercooler the highest egt i've seen was 1050. Yesterday I came up a 1.5 mile 6% hill wot and only saw 1000 on the pyro and 10 psi of boost, was going 45 at the bottom and hit 80 mph at the top of the hill.

Brandon, keep in mind that the Moose Pump you have, still has some adjustment range on the fuel screw. :angel: