Turn Signal Fuse burns out with trailer???!!!

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I tow a trailer the 15 amp fuse for the turn signals burns out. Otherwise all the rear lights worl like they should? Is a 15 amp the right rating for the turn signals? Would it be safe to try a 20 amp fuse?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem is in your trailer wiring.
Putting in a bigger fuse only provides for a hotter source before the fire happens.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I'd start with the trailer bulbs and sockets. Give them all a good cleaning. Remember, most trailer turn signals, and brake lights are on the same filament.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a U-Haul trailer. Wouldn't be anything with the vehicle wiring? That's why I was wondering about the fuse? Someone had replace some of the others with the wrong AMP. I'm thinking maybe it supposed to be a 20 AMP. Anyone know what it calls for?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the problem now.
there's a definite chance the connector sequence is mismatched. Only if you know your trailer plug connector on our truck is wired the same as what's on the trailer, will the possibility of a short is eliminated. But start there first. It's not going to be easy to chase down a electrical problem, but you've done much of the isolating already. Don't forget his fact....electrical fires is the #1 killer of our trucks and it's something that we can prevent.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm glad its just blowing the fuse. Weird thing is depending on the trailers I've hooked to it the fuses last longer with some than others. Is there a new harness I can buy that will plug into the plugs under the truck? There are two plugs under the bed and the 4 flate is wires to that. The guy I bought it from wired and and I re-did the connections with waterproof butt splices.

If I test the lights on the trailer, or test the 4 flat connector on my truck everything checks out the way it should. Any advice would be great. Need to get it done so I can leave and not get pulled over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle