Turbo rebuild time?

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
How does one know when it's time to rebuild a turbo? I figure the obvious signs are if they are seized or leaking. I have three turbos around here...two have a little play and spin very easy...the other one has no play but still rotates ok. None of them leak but I am a little worried about the play. I think on one if I push to the side enought the fins rub on the housing. But I have heard with oil pressure running through them they center right up with no problems. ;Sweet

Also...has anyone rebuilt their own and where do you get parts? It should just be bushings and seals. And as long as things are indexed it should all go back together the same as it came apart and still be balance right? I am lost. cookoo

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I was told by a shop that if you have axial movement your hosed and need to rebuilt but a little side to side is just fine.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Define a little...there is no axial movement but side to side is about 1/16". Like I said...the fins rub if I push hard enough. I believe with axial movement they will start leaking.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the fins are bumping into the housing, you are asking for trouble. bite the bullet and rebuild today or shell a turbo and let the engine have the fins for dinner.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
That one is not in a truck right now. Who rebuilds turbos anyway? Diesel shop...turbo shop...banks? I don't know of any places in town...I am sure they are there...I just don't know where.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
No they should not rub the housing. Now as for 1/16"... Are you sure it's moving that far, reason I say is lateral movement can sometimes feel a lot more than it really is. I thought mine was flopping around pretty good and once I broke out the measuring devices (not a tape measure) I found out it was only moving about 20 thousandths. But it sure felt like to my finger as a whole lot more....

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I can get a brand new (nos) banks turbo minus exhaust and engine bracket for $500. Guess I should do that instead of spending the same cash for a rebuild.

You are right about play...it may only be 20 thou or slightly more.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 sounds cheap for a new one. I got my Banks rebuilt locally for $300 last summer.

Not sure on the diesel, but my gasser, if there is too much play you can hear it rub when you close the throttle under high boost (15-18#) during a gear change.