Turbo parts needed, please!! And a special thank you for a member!

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to the extreme unthoughtfulness of another member on here, I purchased a used hypermax turbo system, although not complete, I was told "The turbo SHOULD probably be rebuilt before installing the kit." I took this on good faith. So tonight as I am finally in the black enough to afford to buy the rest of the parts to bring the kit into completion I decided to investigate the slight play the turbo had, and verify that all bolts were indeed tight on the turbo as some of the locking tabs were bent away from the bolt heads.

Low and behold almost every bolt on the intake side was loose. So I pulled the intake scroll off.. No o-ring, nice!! so I remove the exhaust side. Mark and pull the compressor wheel. Pull the shaft. Boy did this thing come apart easy!! Just like it had been done recently, OH WAIT, it had.. no seals on exhasut side of the catridge, and a wasted shaft where it rides directly behind the compressor wheel. Seems like I've been set-up... hhhhmmm?

So now that I've ranted and raved.... I guess I'm looking for a rebuild kit and an exhaust wheel with the shaft attached to it? Or even a whole cartidge? or whole turbo?

Didn't expect to have a whole lot more into this kit, but now, it's looking more like expensive scrap than a turbo kit for the truck I've finally decided to start building.

Any help would be appreciated.. Turbo is: Air research .70 ULL0281 408105-5371 With luck like mine, someone will probably tell me it's not even for this truck!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your problem with a member here.

First of all since noticing that it had been apart did you contact the seller? Have you attempted to work things out? Most members from what read are very upstanding people very actually compared to some of the places I visit.

If you need a rebuild Type4 is your man he should be able to help and will likely chime in sometime too. Or you could PM him.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is very hard to believe but there it is... So very sorry for your treatment by another member here. I have been around this forum for many years. Long enough to post over 7300 posts. I like to think I'm helping others more than just running up mt post count..... I have never seen nor heard of something like this happening.... So sorry for what has happened to you. Please don't judge others by this abnormal treatment...

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the "kit" march of last year. And after having gone though a divorce, settling an absurd amount of debt from the divorce, I've finally gotten to the point where I could make use of the parts. I DID NOT, and will not call out the person by name, but I am sure he will know exactly what I'm talking about. Long story short, I shouldve done more research before ponying out my money for his cleaned up leftovers. No way could this turbo have been on a running truck.

Now I'd just like to get it up and running.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to ship it to me I may have a used wheel., I have enough parts to do most of the seals and bushings, the oring is a moot point, not really necessary, I will get you a good deal on a new wheel if that is what it takes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....I have been around this forum for many years. Long enough to post over 7300 posts. ...

;Poke Ya but Gary, 7000 of em or so are fleabay links and don't count;Poke :rotflmao:rotflmao

No you do post good useful info and tons of it and I know you have lots of respect here from many members myself included :thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been worked over by a member here and I hope everyone Ive dealt with has been satisfied with how I've treated them.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I loaned a tool out to a member once and never saw it again. Lucky for me I only paid $80 for it, too bad it cost almost $300 to replace.
Live and learn. There are now only two people who I know over the internet that I would trust loaning stuff to, both are members here. So moral of my story is people suck big time, but that doesnt mean every single one of them is bad. You just have to weed out the others.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
sorry to hear you got ripped by a member here. its happened to me on here too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So now three forum members have had some terrible experiances with other members....:eek:-cuss:mad: Thats shocking to learn about... How do we as a fair bunch of members here share these bad experiances... Create a Hall of Membership Personal Shame.....:dunno I'm not trying to out someone in particular but just thinking how others can be warned off from having any dealings with a crook or worse... Someone that steals your loaned tools or damages them. I have personally delt with many members here. I have given away engine parts for just the shipping costs and thought nothing about it. I have traveled to distant locations to help out those that needed help. I'm happy I can do this and I will continue to do so. But when a member here treats another member unfairly I draw the line. I feel its an honor to be here and part of this great site. I support what happens here almost blindly at times. I share the bad times some are having and give words of incouragement. times will get better... But when I read that someone has been treated unfair... I'm on my horse loking for a head... I'll bring the road...:eek::angel: So far I have been done wrong and that member isn't around any longer... Thats a good thing too... I hope things can be worked out with this bad deal on the turbo.... I feel this is a great site with some of the greatest members that will do what it takes to help another member... I've been around a few years... Never have I found a better bunch of guys helping others for nothing more than a thank you....:thumbsup:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It sucks that's for sure but look at it this way. You never know how many miles or years of abuse are on a used turbo...

By having it rebuilt by a professional you will in the long run have a very reliable system and that you will know the history of. Hope that makes you feel any better :sly

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I was a little terrified buying a used turbo, but i had a choice to buy it from here or on fleabay. I chose here since i figured i could trust the member.

Hope it works out ok for you in the end!

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, man, but from the looks of it, you're now in good hands, and you'll be much better off than with, say, a bolted on heavily used ATS turbo kit. That's a nice rig in your pic that deserves nothing less!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
That does suck for you to get taken like that but as previously stated, looks like you're now in the capable hands of Russ.