Turbo downpipe fitting help?!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my downpipe from ATS, only to find out that it isn't the one that fits on my turbo. The only pipe they sell is the one that fits onto the larger outlet housing that they offer.

My outlet housing is the factory ford wastegated one which came in 94.

It appears the outlet housing is cast, so welding is really out of the question, and it has a flange mount, whereas the downpipe is the type that just pushes up into the housing.

Thought I'd just put this out there....

Any thoughts other than dropping the bucks for the newer exhaust housing...

Zigg :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zig-
i think if you called Banks techline they will sell you their version of the downpipe that fits onto the factory outlet. I know they were running off old stock, so when it's gone....it's gone. can't hurt to check though.

HVACfarmer

Reaction score
Ordered my own pipe from Banks last month. Said had four left.

Fit well didn't have to modify firewall, has plug for pyro.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not waste your money on the ats housing and downpipe!!!!i have it and its junk!!it leaks,doesnt mount the way its supposed to on automatic trucks.i got the whole system from ATS and it was the biggest waste of 800bux

dualexhaust

Reaction score
I ordered my downpipe from Banks over (1) year ago. I asked for a downpipe for a 94 turbo and immediately they were trying to sell me a powerstroke one. You want to ask for part number 52103 to make sure you get the right one. It was about $100 shipped to me. No messing with the cab seam required. You will also probably need another 3" mandrel 45 bend to put on the bottom of it, to hook up to the rest of your exhaust. No matter what anyone else says the downpipe does help keep the exhaust temps lower and helps the turbo spool up faster. The larger ATS housing may be the best except for the blasted slip fit, which I did not want to mess with.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not waste your money on the ats housing and downpipe!!!!i have it and its junk!!it leaks,doesnt mount the way its supposed to on automatic trucks.i got the whole system from ATS and it was the biggest waste of 800bux

Sorry Rich, but I have to disagree. I helped PAFixItMan put one on his truck, and the performance and whistle was awsome! Maybe you needed to turn up your pump more? I'd go for it Zigg.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those guys with 94 trucks, just ask for parts for a 93. That will avoid the whole thing about getting PSD parts.

Reminds me of when I had a Jeep Cherokee and the idiots kept giving me parts for a Grand Cherokee because the listed the Grand Cherokee as "Cherokee" and the original Cherokee as "midsize Cherokee".

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You could just send it to me and I'll send ya a brand new stock housing and Banks downpipe!:rotflmao

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused.
You guys are saying the banks downpipe fits on the stock ATS wastegated turbo?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused.
You guys are saying the banks downpipe fits on the stock ATS wastegated turbo?
yup.
the banks downpipe is designed for the factory turbo outlet. you will have the necked down restriction but the pipe isn't smooshed.
rich-
don't know if you can read this by this point, but if you're that upset over the ATS outlet and DP, I am sure there are many here who will be willing to trade out with you.

Gotta-B-Ford

BOOTLEGGER
Reaction score
Called banks this morning to see about the down pipe and it was a no go,they said they had 2 that were spoken for but they could sell me a upgrade(100 hp, lower egt, higher torque,quicker spool,wastegate equiped) $3285.00 HOLLY COW.no need to change anything just change turbo & comes w/new down pipe and inlet w/air filter. You need no injector changes or pump changes!!!!!!!:rotflmao $3285.00

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope not gonna swap it.it was a big enough PITA to get the junk in there that i aint never gonna mess with it again unless the cab is off the truck!because of it i broke the shifter range sensor on the side of the tranny cuz i had to twist and wiggle the trany every wich way to get it in place cuz the pipe was in the way.im afraid to turn the pump up.instead of my EGTs going down they went up!!!ill never buy another thing from ATS!!!-cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle