Turbo center section stuck

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the center section out of my ATS non wastegated ( 088) turbo to rebuild the thing.
I've finally got all the bolts out of the exhaust side ( including one that decided the sawzall was it's friend -cuss )
Anyhow, I've got the thing freed up to where it has lifted up about 1/8" and will rotate freely in the housing, but it won't pull straight out. It's still hanging on something. With that silly long exhaust housing on that thing there's no way to see in there , my extension mirror is too big to fit.

I've got everything that can be soaked with Aero Kroil.

What's the trick to getting that thing apart?

Thanks----------Robert

Attachments

• Turboctr.jpg
    Turboctr.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 15

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Got it :backoff . Finally got in under the shaft bolt with a bar and popped it out . Some serious carbon in there. Can't imagine why :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to say carbon, and suggest that popular Mercury outboard carbon remover stuff.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use Easy-Off on carbon build up. Yes the oven cleaner. Original formula. Spray it on and let it soak. That is how I got all the carbon off of the turbine on my turbo.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If I'd been thinking, I have a nice big can of industrial carbon remover I picked up at the restaurant supply for just such occasions. I guess I can still clean the insides of the thing with it.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'd been thinking, I have a nice big can of industrial carbon remover I picked up at the restaurant supply for just such occasions. I guess I can still clean the insides of the thing with it.

How hard is it to put new seals in a turbo, please help.

Jim

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How hard is it to put new seals in a turbo, please help.

Jim

I'll let you know when I get done with the @$(%*^&&A@! thing :D Waiting on my snap on guy to bring me a deep 12 point 3/8 socket tomorrow so I can get the nut off the thing to separate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk