Turbo Carnage,...

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much metal went down the intake? With that level of damage there had to be parts of it into the engine.... that had to hurt...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I really have no other information on what happened, He really didn't want to talk about it, Just wanted his new turbo and get it back on the road.

It was about $1200 for a rebuild and 3 days wait, or $1,625 for a new one walk out with it..No brainier for him!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing went down the intake. The intercooler collects all the FOD... Kinda an expensive debre trap. I was wondering what caused this kind of damage too...:dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
OP: holy crap

The intercooler collects all the FOD... Kinda an expensive debre trap.

^^^That is why you have to be careful if you see an expenseive IC or any type for that matter on ebay for cheap $$$. there is a chance that the turbo could have grenaded and sent crap in the IC and it could dislodge and go into your engine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what would happen to a turbo if chinese wheels are used. The comp wheel has lead in the center to balance it and they will frag because the center of moment isnt correct.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Although something "could" blow thru the tiny innercooler tubes it would be so small it probably wont hurt anything internally but... I really don't want any metal going into my cylinders either. If this rig didn't have an innercooler...:eek::angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online