Trying to understand idi air flow

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice head cutaway. LOL.

For those not in the know.. Russ was the FIRST guy to cut down a head like this but.. He went the extra mile and did much more cut aways. He then mailed them to Mel who also went the extra mile by painting the different air, exhaust and coolant paths different colors. It was a work of art. Maybe Mel can be convinced to post those pics again. He lost so many pics because the photo host decided to shut down and not give many minutes notice so we could saw what we had on their server.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some more stuff I found this from JosieGallows

Ever wondered what it looks like inside a Ricardo Comet Swirl chamber IDI while running? (Our IDIs are the Ricardo Design)

attachment.php
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the direct injected the flame front has no resistance. The pre cup has to go through a small whole where lots of heat is genurated and power lose

I'm guessing you can't modify the cups to allow a wider flame front in or turn it into direct injected. If you could make it ID you would need different pistions and find a way to move that injector and glow plug into the cylinder. That's if you have more injector pressure.

I could find facts on the Db2 pump but believe ro pressurized to 6200 psi and the P-pump to 18000-22000psi or more witch would be a nice upgrade for are motors if it don't grenade. Then common rail goes 25000psi and up.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some long indepth discussions with Justin on precups...we chat quite a bit and thats one subject we dont see eye to eye...

Mind you hes pulling 420+hp with stock cups....I often wonder if we could get 8 cups CNC machined a bit larger opening if it would produce a better power curve or not.

Velocity of flame front out the opening would change and slow burn down with larger openings...maybe allowing more burn...maybe flaming out...but there is a shiteton to contend with.

Its moot...until someone steps up with two full sets of precups to a dyno...

Maybe use an Extrudehone process and work to enlarge 8 precup openings some and see what comes of it.

If in for penny..extrudehone the intake and exhaust ports and ex manifolds too.

BTW...not conclusive...but gaskets are suspect on his scarlet monster

Last edited:

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get my hands on pre cup and see if I can make a set

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice get better caps either by flow or volume and higher pressure fuel system around 18000psi