Trying to start the engine on a stand. Need advice on how to jump solenoid

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my engine rebuilt on the stand. Ready to start to test it. I have a wire to the FSS. I have a ground from the block to the negative terminal. I put a positive cable to the starter. can't figure out how to jump it. Any advice?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any videos or tutorials that are not just a camera 20 feet from the engine showing but instead, showing exactly how the solenoid is to be jumped, or how to wire it up so that I can start it on the stand? I just thought a neg cable, a positive cable, and an fss cable would be enough, but all I get is sparks and the starter gear spinning (not jumping to the flywheel)

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this post: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/how-to-start-a-7-3-idi-out-of-the-truck.67024/#post-778809

"
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

take a battery, hook + to large starter stud. - to block. now you will need to run a wire up to the FSS on the pump. just batt +. fuel into the lift pump, then a catch can to catch return line fuel.

jump solenoid on starter and off it will go!. if you need to preheat, stick a hair dryer down its throat to warm up the intake. it will start.

the one in the video was started with a heat gun down the intake. it was 20 degrees outside, maybe 50 in the shop.

do not let it run for long unless you hook up a cooling system."​

I did exactly this, but it never activates the starter. It might spin, but htat's about it. I hooked up my battery-charger/starter to the battery too, to make sure it was getting enough amps. I'm really kinda confused.

JUST TO CONFIRM: I'm jumping the two larger electrical connections on the back of the solenoid? Right? Or should I be jumping the smaller wire to something? A basic image or drawing could resolve this quickly. I've jumped gassers back in the day, but it's been over 20 years since I've done this.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that you jump power from the larger terminal to the smaller one. The smaller one should be the signal to "start" the engine, spinning the starter and causing the bendix to kick out at the same time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
starter has 2 wires. a main power, and a start which is the smaller one that fires the bindex.

I always powered my glow plug relay too

I hope youre doing this on a sort of a run stand, and not an engine stand.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I'm gonna say batt power goes to one big lug on solenoid. Small stud on solenoid is for trigger wire from fender solenoid which throws solenoid and sends power from other large solenoid stud to starter. Could be bendix is bad or tooth missing from flywheel or your just simply not getting a good enough contact to supply that much amperage.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are there are issues with the starter if it's spinning but not engaging. Pull it off, clean it, make sure it moves back and forth, test it by itself(jumper cables to a battery, + to the big terminal, - to the case and use a screwdriver or other wire to jump power to the small terminal. The small gear should jump forward and start spinning.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are there are issues with the starter if it's spinning but not engaging. Pull it off, clean it, make sure it moves back and forth, test it by itself(jumper cables to a battery, + to the big terminal, - to the case and use a screwdriver or other wire to jump power to the small terminal. The small gear should jump forward and start spinning.

I figured out my problem. I wasn't getting enough voltage. It was in the low 12's and 11's. I ended up connecting it to my running van via jumper cables to assist the battery, which gave it enough juice to activate and spin the starter.