How to start a 7.3 idi out of the truck.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
my 7.3 has some oil leaks and I want to clean it up then start it out of the truck so I can see where it is leaking from so I can get it fixed before I put it in the truck I know mel did it and posted a video of it but cant seem to find it or remember if he explaned how to do it.
thx

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a remote starter button, hook to the relay on pass fender, pull the small 90* wire off with the insulator, clip one button wire onto that, clip other one on to battery+ or on the relay, turn key ON, start from button, to STOP, pull wire off the FSS on the IP. Turn key OFF if any washing or work is done. Also you can start it without the button by jumpering across the two large terminals on the relay with a screwdriver or such.

Disregard above. Reread post, the engine is on the floor out of the truck.

Firmly support the engine so it don't roll when starting, lots of torque there. Connect a fuel line from a gas can with diesel fuel in it to the lift pump. With one battery sitting on the floor, use the battery cables hooked like this, Battery NEG - bolted to the engine, Battery POS+ connected to the large terminal on the starter. Use a jumper wire with a switch in line from the Battery POS+ to the FSS on the IP. Use a remote starter button connected one end to the battery POS+, the other end connected to the starter solenoid on the starter. Turn the switch ON to the FSS, Press the remote button, engine should crank then start. to STOP it, flip switch OFF to FSS. DON'T RUN ENGINE OVER 15 SECONDS WITH NO COOLANT IN IT. Let engine cool down for at least a 1/2 Hr. before starting again, then in only 10 second runs after the first run. Need to have a catch can at the IP to catch the fuel coming out of it.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/vI7lApEtV_Q

take a battery, hook + to large starter stud. - to block. now you will need to run a wire up to the FSS on the pump. just batt +. fuel into the lift pump, then a catch can to catch return line fuel.

jump solenoid on starter and off it will go!. if you need to preheat, stick a hair dryer down its throat to warm up the intake. it will start.

the one in the video was started with a heat gun down the intake. it was 20 degrees outside, maybe 50 in the shop.

do not let it run for long unless you hook up a cooling system.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow... started a lot of engines on the floor over the years. I would at least support the pan rails and the motor mount locations. It would be a pretty ugly picture if a bolt or chain broke with no secondary support in place. To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Done that many times never an issue. I always test run like that just before setting back into he truck. Will be building a test stand soon with radiator and all.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Pretty much same as everyone else has said.
I ran a weighted fuel line (mine was floating) to a 1 gal can full of diesel, and ran the return line to another can.
Hooked up both batteries as they would be in the truck and a wire from FSS to pos battery post. Ran a solenoid trigger wire for the starter.
Touch solenoid trigger to pos post and starter will run, to stop engine remove wire from fss.
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
CAUTION AHEAD WARNING.... The oil pump pickup is only 1/8 inch off the bottom of the oil pan. Crush that and you have no engine. Please support the engine off anyplace but the oil pan bottom. Not really believing me.. then drain the oil and stick something up into the drain hole... Come back with knowledge...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker