Trying to remove fan

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying like all hell to get the fan blade off, but it wont budge.. I have a dumb question, does it turn off clockwise or counter-clockwise?? I've been trying to turn it counter-clockwise towrdes the passengers side.. Also is there any secret to holding the water pump still while i turn off the fan blade.. Thanks

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
fan clutch is left hand thread. turn it towards the drivers side and it will come loose. a fan clutch tool will help hold the water pump pulley while you loosen the fan. i had to put a breaker bar and a pipe on mine to get it off, but it did break loose.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use a punch and hit on the corners a little and it will brake free thats what i did

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It is a left hand thread and like already posted... Its printed in the shroud. Why are you attempting to remove it. If your pump is shot using any of the hammer ideas above are fine.. If you are saving the water pump don'r be hammering on the nut. It will tuin the pump bearings. Some hammer on the nut all the time and feel its not hurting anything. Thats just not true but.. At least now you understand there are several ways to remove the fan nut.. Only one sure safe way though...:angel:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Someone used the air hammer on mine, the threaded portion broke off shortly after I got it running! It was fun getting the threaded portion out of the fan clutch nut too!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends if you know what you are doing with the air hammer or not. If you hit the nut dead on down, duh, it will screw up the bearings. But if you just hit the side of the nut in small bursts, and you stop when the nut stops turning, it is fine. The threads will absorb the shock when its loose and when it stops, it is tight enough.

If you don't know how to use one, don't do it on that, yeah.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant get it to budge, everything i've tried and the pully just can't be held still.. Whats a last ditch effort becouse i am out of idea's... I'm replacing the pump so im not worried about that.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat it up with a torch and hit it with a air hammer(the right way, which happen to be left). If you don't have a air hammer, hit it with a hammer and screw driver.

If that does not work, take the whole water pump out with everything connected and work on it in a vice.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
do you have the fan clutch removal kit? if so you should be able to break it loose. i needed my dad to hold one wrench while i put my "you know whats" into the fan nut. if you are trying to hold both wrenches then you will never break it loose. it is to akward and you can't get in a position to get good leverage.