Trying to optimize my mpg/performance on/off road

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also how do you get away with burning the b5 when I ran it for like 1000 miles I started burning oil like crazy but it did get a nice mpg boost at first

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I rebuilt the posi in my rear in went the amsoil synthetic and I didnt bother putting a new front pinion seal in, 75k later, no leaks.This thing had over 225k on it when I pulled it apart.
Synthetic in the real makes a huge difference. When Amsoil first came out with the stuff, they guaranteed a 4.88 % increase in fuel mileage, but as time went on a lot of vehicles atarted coming out from the factory with synthetics in the diff from the factory advertising them as lifetime fills, so it was kind of hard to get that kind of increase over another synthetic so they dropped it from the label, but over the factory dino juice in these pumpkins, you will notice a difference with a quality synthetic in there.
Slowing down makes the biggest difference Even with 15 gears in mine, if I break 62 mph my mileage goes from 18-20 to the toilet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a coupel highway trips going camping i averaged about 17.5 doing 65ish sometimes 75 with 35" tires

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Also how do you get away with burning the b5 when I ran it for like 1000 miles I started burning oil like crazy but it did get a nice mpg boost at first

Burning a B5 blend should not create an oil burning issue. Some may say that bad veg oil will eventually coke up the rings and that may lead to oil burning, Im actually burning a much higher blend now, never had an oil burning issue.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that if I toss in a bit of my "cocktail" with every tank, it also helps mileage or at least the smoothness of the running and quieting down of the injection pump. It consists of some Howes, a bottle of Isopropyl, and a little 2 cycle synthetic oil. But I know that just with the Howes it sounds better. The rest is just for cleaning things out and lubricating the system more.

I have burned waste motor oils after they have been well filtered out and "cleaned", and never with negative effects or excessive visible emissions.

Oh! Another thing that helped my truck out besides going from the stock 245/75-16 to 235/85-16 tires, I got rid of the restrictive exhaust pipe which was pretty horrible since there was the stock muffler which was the size of a acetylene tank btw. I ran 3" from the stock "y" pipe back with a cheap turbo muffler 3" I/O which I want to replace with a Flowmaster of which I have always had incredible luck on my gas engines. I know my Chevy CUCV M1009 has dual 2.25" pipes with turbos on right now with some kind of change on the way, and it works very well too. I was always convinced that a properly sized single exhaust with free flowing muffler on a diesel was the way to do since the exhaust pipe stays warm enough to draw the pressure out.

I guess I will still be a fan of the single exhaust with Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler on it, though my brother got a Diamond Eye system on his 94 Dodge, and it sounds incredible! But it has the turbo whine in it's favor too. I'm still NA.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt the posi in my rear in went the amsoil synthetic and I didnt bother putting a new front pinion seal in, 75k later, no leaks.This thing had over 225k on it when I pulled it apart.
Synthetic in the real makes a huge difference. When Amsoil first came out with the stuff, they guaranteed a 4.88 % increase in fuel mileage, but as time went on a lot of vehicles atarted coming out from the factory with synthetics in the diff from the factory advertising them as lifetime fills, so it was kind of hard to get that kind of increase over another synthetic so they dropped it from the label, but over the factory dino juice in these pumpkins, you will notice a difference with a quality synthetic in there.
Slowing down makes the biggest difference Even with 15 gears in mine, if I break 62 mph my mileage goes from 18-20 to the toilet

I'm glad someone else has had good luck with Synthetic, and even better news to hear that the older seals were in good enough shape yet so they didn't leak.

I've never used Amsoil in anything of mine but use different brands in my different applications as I have found the Harley likes a different brand than the GMC, and the Ford gas likes a different kind than the Ford Diesel. I judge that by sound. For instance, I could always use Mobil 20W50 synthetic in the engine in my old Honda 750, but if I used it in the Harley, the engine sounded louder so I stuck with the Harley brand which it seems to like best. Others may find it to be a waste of money, and I will try different brands to see if I can deviate because I am not so stubborn to think I know it all, but right now the expensive Screaming Eagle brand from the Stealer works the best.

With all that in mind, I won't laugh at someone for using something I never had good luck at because who knows, what works for them may not work for me and vice versa. I know that different brands work differently in all my applications so there may be something to all of this. All I know is that buying a blend just seems to make no sense to me.

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I've actually got true duals 3"straight pipe all the way back it's a lil loud sometimes and looks a lil crazy having smoke trailing behind both sides of the truck but the engine loves it I noticed a nice power increase too when I did it, as for the b5 not causing oil burn it's been my understanding that all 6.9s burn oil, which mine does, but when I ran the b5 it started burning much more than usual and a while after I went back to #2 it went back to normal and even better when I threw a lil filtered waste oil in the tank but if there a way to get it to stop burning oil or at least not burn more with b5/b20 i'd love to be able to do it because if I could find a place here like the place I was getting my b5/b20 back in eugene then I was getting about 4mpg more and the stuff was like the same price a#2

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just add as in independent comment, since this is a MPG thread... The Moosestang (my 87' Bronco) Got 12 MPG when Ford built it. I got 16-18MPG with it when I dropped the 6.9/C6 combo in it. I switched to a 3.08 rear, but that really didn't change anything. Now with a 7.3/ZF-5 and the 3.08 rear, I'm getting 21.5 consitently. My IP and injectors are worn (hey.. the cobbler's children have no shoes!) and need to be replaced. I just checked my timing for the first time last night. It was down at 6.5. I'm expecting another MPG with it in the proper range. A new IP and injectors should get me to the target MPG of 24 which is what my expectation was when I re-engineered it.

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on one of these days I'd like to do a similar project maybe put a bronco body on a crew cab frame flat bed behind something crazy you know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger