Trucks burning a lot of oil

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 F350 7.3 IDI factory turbo 115000 miles is burning about a quart of oil every 200 miles. It doesnt leak much, but you can see blue smoke especially at startup. I tried cleaning the CDR, but I think it got worse after that (no i didnt use compressed air, only a gas bath and air dry). What would cause this much oil consumption?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I think the general consensus about the CDR is to replace, not clean them. The rubber membrane inside is really fragile and can tear when they are cleaned out.

Is the oil bypassing the turbo seals? How is the antifreeze looking? Might be the oil cooler seals as well.

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Antifreeze is clean and full. Also forgot to mention that there is quite a bit of oil on the intake side of the turbo where the air cleaner box meets the turbo.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Antifreeze is clean and full. Also forgot to mention that there is quite a bit of oil on the intake side of the turbo where the air cleaner box meets the turbo.

I would have a look at the turbo. Is there any shaft end play (does the compressor wheel move inside the turbo housing?)

If so, does the compressor wheel touch the housing?

I'd take the intake pipe off (after the turbo) and look inside of that too..it should be clean and oil free. If there is oil in there, time tor a turbo rebuild.

I think a member on here (Typ4) does turbo rebuilds.

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the turbo and there doesnt seem to be any side to side play and only a tiny bit of in and out play. I will have to take off the other intake side, but it doesnt seem normal that there is a pool of oil before the turbo

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Can you post pictures of the "pool of oil" pre-turbo? That would help a diagnosis. I have a small amount of oil in the same place as yours, but I know its coming from the CDR. I haven't worried about it too much, because I want to change the routing of my CDR soon. What do you see if you run the motor with the CDR hose disconnected from the intake? I just have a fine gray/black mist that doesn't seem eccessive (I could be wrong though) I'm thinking along the same lines as Goofyexponent - probably replace CDR.

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
my truck is burning a ton of oil also with that same color of smoke. It runs good but uses too much oil to afford to drive. is a cdr change expensive and difficult, anyone?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
From my experience my truck likes to be run a quart low. You should not have to add any oil until it gets to the add mark on the dipstick and then you should just add one quart.

The oil should also be checked when the engine is hot after sitting about 15 minutes.

If your over filling it the engine will appear the be using allot more oil than what it normally does.

I would not bother to replace the CDR and just run a road draft tube. The CDR is always open unless the engine is running away on its own oil.

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I run a road draft tube? Do I need to run some kind of PCV like device if I go this route? Im just trying to avoid spending $$ on a CDR right now since I just got a rebuild kit for my trans and other stuff that needed fixed.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
How do I run a road draft tube? Do I need to run some kind of PCV like device if I go this route? Im just trying to avoid spending $$ on a CDR right now since I just got a rebuild kit for my trans and other stuff that needed fixed.
The simple way to do it would be to plug the hole in the intake and run a 1" hose from where the CDR connects down towards the ground. Just stay clear of the exhaust. This eliminates the need for a valve to.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the CDR by sucking on the tiny hole on the backside of the valve. If it's good you should hear a little click as the diaphragm moves.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I will second the autorx. Sounds like snake oil, but it DID work for me. Cut my blow by way down, and took me burning one quart of oil every 500 miles, to over 1000 miles per quart of oil. My drive from Oregon to Texas I burnt one quart of oil. Thats one quart in 2200 miles.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Is there a block off plate that you can buy to cover the intake hole when running an RDT? This may be my next project after my D60 swap.

Who was the member doing custom parts on his plasma table? This would be a popular item for him to make!