Truck's all back together, with a MOOSE PUMP!

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my truck all back together. It's been apart since 10-6-07 . Well I finally got everything all in today, which consists of a moose pump(Thanks MEL!!), new injectors, glow plugs(Thanks Sean), return lines, electric fuel pump, 5" exhaust, ATS downpipe & turbo housing & outlet elbow, rebuilt turbo, open air intake, 99 psd intercooler, water pump, custom aluminum radiator and a few other odds and ends.
I finally took it for a drive and WOW!!!!!:D :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This is not the same truck. This thing can scoot now. It can even squeel the tires! I havent driven it much yet to get really good readings but the egt were 500-550 going 55 and didn't get over 900 on a 0-60 almost wot run. The max boost I saw was 8 psi, but I will see what happens tomorrow with the trailer hooked to it. It doesn't really smoke too bad unless I mash the pedal after the torque converter locks up then it belches a little. Now I really wish the truck was a 5 speed, maybe some day.
I will get some pictures of everything in the morning, I drove arround untill it got too dark tonight cookoo cookoo to take any. I would like to say THANKS to all that have helped me over the last couple of months and espically MEL for offering such a nice ip upgrade.

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You bet Brandon!
Those wont swell up on you like those other ones! haha. However I have seen a friend of mine, that I installed a set in his 6.9 for him, literally melt all of them. How he did this I dont know, but I just took them in and had them warrantied. lol.
I want to see a vid of this truck hauling @$$!!! My dad has one the same color and everything, but it burns a gallon of anti freeze every 40 miles. So we've only driven it once. But hey, he cant complain since he got it for $750.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to do a double take. At first I thought it was Deeproots thread. LOL

Hey that's great. ;Sweet That intercooler is really doing a phenominal job for you. Remember boost numbers are always a little lower when running one. I'm please to finally see some posts from customers. I've sold 6, and there are still 3 that haven't been accounted for. I guess most guys that have been buying them are doing complete project build ups that take quite a while. Thanks for the report. :thumbsup:

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!!

I hooked the dump trailer up today to see how the truck pulled a load, and WOW, this cannot be the same truck! Total loaded weight was 29420 pounds. It's about a 35 mile round trip to the stone quarry with a bunch of sharp turns and small hills. The highest egt was arround 1050 and the boost was 9 psi, I would have pushed it more but it would gain too much speed to make the next turn. Smoke was very minimal unless it was lugging at low rpms then it would really belch it out, but when it downshifted the smoke would clear right up. I am really pleased with how the truck pulles now. Here are a few pictures of the intercooler, air intake, and one of the weight ticket at the scales.

I know I've said it before but THANKS MEL;Sweet ;Sweet .

Attachments

• MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 49
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 102
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 99
  • MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 82
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 74

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
That is awesome, making that kind of power with low boost and EGT's sounds like a great setup.

Nice job on the intercooler install! Did you make your own tubes? are they polished aluminum?

I am going to need to do my own soon,..

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, and my brother wants to know what brand and model guard that is on the front.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm please to finally see some posts from customers. I've sold 6, and there are still 3 that haven't been accounted for. I guess most guys that have been buying them are doing complete project build ups that take quite a while. Thanks for the report. :thumbsup:

Mel, I'd be more pleased if there were now 4 of them in operation. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am eagerly moving forward, albeit very slowly, on my turbo rebuild/install. Trying to decide what to do about the factory turbo elbow and downpipe. I have considered cutting the restrictive part of the elbow off and welding some 3" schedule 40 pipe on there then adapting from that to a downpipe. I don't have the money to throw at the ATS upgrade what with us moving next month. (to Appomattox about 25 miles). I am just concerned the factory elbow will cause the egt's to be too high with the moose pump. (end Hijack)

IDIjunkie, I am glad to see you've got it all back together and working. I followed your rebuild initially but you stopped updating things:backoff and I wasn't aware you had finished. Sounds like it's working great. :thumbsup:
That's also one hell of a load. Which model tru-cool are you using. I also really like the fan. So much so I think I'd like to duplicate that setup.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep wondering how these performance injection pumps can make such a difference(I believe without a doubt that they do!) given stock injectors. I was told that the stock IP can flow more fuel than the stock injectors can pump. Maybe I heard incorrect information.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep wondering how these performance injection pumps can make such a difference(I believe without a doubt that they do!) given stock injectors. I was told that the stock IP can flow more fuel than the stock injectors can pump. Maybe I heard incorrect information.

It's more about the timing and fuel curves of the pump. This is where the extra oomph is found. More efficient delivery of the fuel. Mel I am sure can elaborate on this subject. I however will get over my head rather quickly. I just know a little.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are right about the fuel curve and calibration being the big thing, but are the injectors a limiting factor or is that incorrect info that they can't pump even as much fuel as the stock pump can.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job on the intercooler install! Did you make your own tubes? are they polished aluminum?

I wish that I could say that I made the tubes, but I didn't. I got pretty lucky and bought them off of ebay. A guy had them made up for an older ats system I think, so I modified them a little and it turned out pretty good, and they are polished but need cleaned up some.

VIDEO!!!!! I WANT A VIDEO!

Be patient Sean LOL LOL , I can only do so much at a time, but I will get a short video ASAP. The grille guard is a stainless steel Smittybilt guard, I will try to get the # for you.

IDIjunkie, I am glad to see you've got it all back together and working. I followed your rebuild initially but you stopped updating things:backoff and I wasn't aware you had finished. Sounds like it's working great. :thumbsup:
That's also one hell of a load. Which model tru-cool are you using. I also really like the fan. So much so I think I'd like to duplicate that setup.

The reason that I stopped updating my progress is because I ran out of parts to work with and was just waiting on everything to arrive, and that working on it in 0-15 degree weather wasn't too nice. I figured that that much of a load would tell me what it was capible of. Here is a link to the tru-cool cooler http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=205. The fan will most likely never need to be used, the highest temp I have ever seen was 165 and that was backing a trailer up in 98 degree heat. But I had the fan in the basement and barely had enough room to install it so I figured why not.

So wheres the fuel filter at now?

It is about 2 feet in front of the front tank under the truck. I will get some pictures of it.

I keep wondering how these performance injection pumps can make such a difference(I believe without a doubt that they do!) given stock injectors.

The moose pump really make a differance, I don't know how but it makes a differance.

Can you go MOOSE pump for better mileage?

If you can keep a light foot on the pedal LOL . My fuel mileage will down right suck for a while untill I get used to the extra power.

Thanks for the comments guys;Sweet . I will try to get a couple of videos when I can.