Truck's all back together, with a MOOSE PUMP!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1100 for a peak is no biggie...
If these things blew up at anything past 12 psi or over 1200 indicated, my truck would have been dead 2 years ago. I can easily push 15 psi with an empty truck(I cruise at 65-70 with a 300-350 egt, and can't get past 950 egt with no trailer no matter how hard I try, but, I run out of smoke at about 12 psi, I should turn the pump up more) and, with 14,500 in tow, I run a maintained 10 psi/1200 egt for 5 miles on one stretch, and this happens every time, it actually starts to cool the egt's down once it builds enough rpm to get the boost up past 12 and cleans up the smoke(I really need a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo.)
I don't exactly baby my 'ol girl, I only back off the throttle for overheating, and that usually happens long before I need to worry about EGT's, even on long hard pulls with GCWR's in the 18K + range(old fan clutch never locked up.)

I have factory head gaskets and bolts with 170K miles on 'em... Everything I've ever read on the internet says I should have cooked pistons and popped head gaskets long ago, but it still lives.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are those GP's working for ya?

They are working great! Thanks again;Sweet . Last week it got down to -7 at night and it started up within 2 seconds and not pluged in. With the new glow plugs and the blue top optima batteries it starts like it's 80 when it's really 0.

BTW guys what is the safe egt to run, the hottest I've seen it was 1100 for about 15-20 seconds, the pyro is in the manifold by the #7 cylinder.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
1250 should be the max and not for an extended time.

I don't imagine it climbed any, but what was your water temp doing on that pull?

------Robert

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't imagine it climbed any, but what was your water temp doing on that pull?

------Robert

The water got to 208 about half way up the hill and never went any higher, and about a half mile it was down to 185, and this is the only time the fan didn't come on going up this hill. This radiator really cools :thumbsup: .

Ok guys sorry it took so long but here are some videos!

This one is with the truck running at high idle. http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3038804590064722816gwiBvs?vhost=good-times.

And this one is the truck blowing a little smoke :smoke: . http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3047294100064722816WjROVy?vhost=good-times .

I am about sick and tired of this stupid dial up connection. It took me 40 minutes to upload these 2 videos :mad: -cuss ;Pissed .

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok, 500miles round trip.
2 hours at dead stop traffic due to accident, 40 miles in stop and go stoplights. The rest was 3000rpms 75mph.
14.2mpg with moose pump.

not really any worse than I would have gotten previously... if anything possibly a little better than normal.
all biodiesel, made on the farm with truck listed below.