Truck runs rough

kevstar1212

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m pretty new to the 7.3 idi. I’m looking at purchasing my first one. Went to test drive it and it started running really rough. Was he’d to start and idled really rough. Give it some fuel and it cleared up a bit. Popped the hood and I could see it was all wet in the valley behind/under the injection pump. Is this a common issue ? Lines ? Pump itself ? The guy said he had a spare pump and set of injectors he would throw in. He’s asking 2500 for it. Said he would throw in pump and injectors and take 2250. It’s a fairly clean 94 turbo crew cab dually auto. With some work it could make a decent truck. What do you guys think? Bargain with him or walk away?

Also I’m looking into this truck as something to set up for running WMO. I have other vehicles and just looking for something to putts around with and save fuel in/ take on trips. Want it to be reliable but it’s. It like I need to drive it to work every day. Thanks

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it oil or fuel on the vally pan? Sounds like it's got a leaky fuel system. Does he know the history of the extra pump and injectors? How many miles on them, rebuilt ect..

I'd try and bargain with him and see what comes of that

kevstar1212

Reaction score
Is it oil or fuel on the vally pan? Sounds like it's got a leaky fuel system. Does he know the history of the extra pump and injectors? How many miles on them, rebuilt ect..

I'd try and bargain with him and see what comes of that

Looks to be diesel as best I can tell, history on pump and injectors is that its off his other truck that he purchased blown up and he dropped a reman motor in it. I guess he said he has the pump and injectors that came on the bad motor. I didn’t ask about miles or if they are rebuilt. I’m assuming he won’t know. Since he just bought he truck that way.

Is it Common for them to leak bad when they go out ? Could it just be a fuel line ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like one heck of a good deal, but it probably needs a new injection system (IP, injectors, & return line kit). I wouldn’t trust another used set, as that’ll probably be junk as well.
It’s a fairly easy job but you need to buy these injection components from a reputable dealer. Conestoga diesel being one & Russ aka typ4 being the other.

kevstar1212

Reaction score
How hard is it to get the timing correct ? I’m pretty good with replacing parts but I do t have much expierance or any of the special tools for timing. If it’s not terrible I’m thinking I might try the used pump and see where that gets me. See how the truck does. Don’t wanna drop a Big hunk of change into the fuel system only to find more things wrong with the truck.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaking return lines are a common issue. The rubber lines between the injectors, the o-rings under the caps get dried and the plastic caps get brittle do to heat. Most of them only last a couple years. Replacement kits are available and fairly cheap, and it's not too hard to change them out once you have done a few.

Timing is another animal in it's self. Lots of info on here about it so I'd search for it and make a decision based on your comfort level.

kevstar1212

Reaction score
i guess we’ll see how much he’s willing to negotiate. What do you guys think is fair ? Has no visible rust but there looks like some soft spots in floor pan underneath. Frame looks good. Spring hanger has a hole in it. Trans was all wet and looks like it needs a new gasket and tail shaft seal. Also pass side top of manifold was wet. Not sure if it’s diesel leaking down from the pump or what not.

You must be registered for see images attach

kevstar1212

Reaction score
It’s decent but it does look better in pictures than person.
You must be registered for see images attach

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only worth what you're willing to pay. Without seeing it in person I can only guess. Personally I'd start at $1200-1300 without the old pump and injectors possibly go to $1800 with them and use them as cores for new ones. Of course if it was 4wd I'd start a little higher.

The problem is he's going to bock at whatever you offer but you're taking a gamble on having to replace/repair issues that he won't or won't admit to. It can get expensive for you so you need to consider what you want to do with the truck down the road.

I bought mine that is in my signature knowing that it may not last long or would need lots of work so I haggled a lot off the price and was happy in the end.

Good luck

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice truck. I would buy it for that price. You’ll just have to expect to spend more $ on it once it’s in your possession, like any other vehicle lol.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it runs odd and there is diesel in the valley pan, my guess is the IP inlet seal is leaking. That would cause fuel leakage on the valley pan and air infiltration to cause the rough idle.

I don't think return lines would leak into the valley pan much, but since they are so cheap and easy to replace, there ain't no harm in replacing those either.

Look at the injector lines on the back of the IP and look for leakage. If the inlet is peeing, replace it with an R&D IDI Performance inlet elbow. They are much better than the dumb stock fittings.

kevstar1212

Reaction score
What do you guys think a real world value is on this truck? Once I get it running reasonable and daily driveable clean it up some. ? 212k on it.