Truck is back on the road but may have a problem

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put a set of injectors in with all new return lines and all. Not 100% sure if it fixed all the leaks but it fixed the bad one. Still leaving some puddles but I haven't cleaned out the valley pan yet.

The ? I have is this. I was taking it out for a test drive and seemed like it was running great but it was rolling excessive black smoke. I wasn't really that worried about it. Then a couple times the truck hit like a power surge where it just took off without giving any extra throttle. It only happened twice so I figured it was just air working out. After it happened the 2nd time the excessive smoke stopped. Going to drive it again tomorrow and see if it is a cold /hot issue. Any thoughts?

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like air in the system, if it keeps doing it you may be sucking in air and still have a small leak.

Get her broke in and drive up here to Dayton sometime, be nice to meet ya, we can stare at the engine and act really smart :dunno

Last time I changed my IP it seemed to take forever to get all the air out, you may be OK, give it a few miles.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I am hoping. Don't seem like any air is coming out when I bleed it but who knows. I could be getting ready for a pump too. I have no idea how old this one is.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Drive it like you stole it for at least ten miles to get all the air out. If it don't clear up then look further.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second and third what they all said about the air that stuff can be hard to get out of the system. I wouldn't worry about the surging unless it continues for a good while, you know after 5-10 or more miles of good hard driving. Failing that its a sticky throttle/throttle cable or an internal problem in the IP.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
when i put new injectors and return lines i drive mine like i stole it and the truck wouldnt come down from where i had it rpm wise so i put it in neutral and it kicked down. guess it had air in it, air can do funny things.

after that eposide its been runnin great.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at this point I need it on the road so I am going to drive it till it quits again. now I gotta tear into my other truck and figure it out. maybe one day I will get my bronco running too. lol

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well been driving it and it seems to run ok but I am getting dead peddle sometimes. Is this a sign the pump is going or could it just be the lift pump? I was also wondering if my wastegate might be sticking open and not letting the turbo make boost. Not sure.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am still having issues but not sure really what. I still have a small fuel leak somewhere but haven't pin pointed it yet. That is a just a minor issue the main issue is the truck is very inconsistent right now. One minute it will have all the power in the world and smoke only on take off and the next it will barely get out of its own way and be smokin' like crazy. My first thought is that my turbo isn't acting right but I am not sure. I would think since its smoking I am getting plenty of fuel and not enough air but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online