Truck has no power and wont start after hot, after new IP and injectors

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Is this timing or am I missing something?
I know I havent set timing yet. I just put the pump in and ran it.
I need to figure out how to use my lumi mag before I can time it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt it...I think you got a crappy injector pump. Next time it exhibits this behavior, try dumping a bit of lukewarm water on the pump head. It happens sometimes, its not easy to rebuild a rotary pump. About a lumy mag timing machine, a member by the name of Diesel E350 or some such handle, has a really nice personal website with a PDF for the MT480 and 1480 which he allows anyone to download for free. Hopefully that shows you what you need to know. Do you have a good lumy probe? The timing would have to be way way off to cause those problems, but it could if you were like 180* out or all the way advanced or retarded on the pump....you didn't move the timing gear did ya?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawn, that no start when hot sounds like pump heat soak. Try the room temp water trick, and if it starts, you need a new IP for sure. 12 oz only please.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys,
The IP is brand new. We just bought it from MWFI. Is it possible that we got a new bad pump?
I noticed today it seems like it has more power when the engine is cooler.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES...A pump can be bad out of the factory...as I said, building these is tricky. I got 3 bad ones before I got a good one ):

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, it wouldnt start again after letting it sit for 20-30 min after long drive. Poured water on the head and it started right up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah call those guys at MWFI and make them make good on their warranty...it sucks that you should get a bad pump...but like I say it happens, just be nice unless they try to weasel out of it....then you can read them the riot act..or not.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know if they make good and how easy they are to work with. I think most of us want to give our biz to the most customer friendly rebuilder. these things happen, what matters is how well they stand behind their product.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle