Truck Died while warming up

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with 169k on the the motor, I might as well send it out to have the rotating assembly. How much is a moose pump?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
It didn't happen to rain hard since the oil change did it? I once bought a truck that sat for 6 MOS before me buying it last December, Knowing it was a good engine I just thought the gauge was not working and headed for home. Didn't make a noise for about 3 miles then it started getting bad, needless to say I was against walking and pushed on. That engine was junk after the 10 mile trip and once it thawed out in the garage I pulled the plug and about 2 gallons of water drained out before the oil. They will not build oil pressure with the screen froze in ice:dunno

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, the stock guage was bad when I got it. So I put a mechanical one one it. I know it has no oil pressure since it didn't blow any out when I took the filter off and started it.

C

cash

did you cut the filter open?

Last edited by a moderator:

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pump

Per my ford book the oil pump is on the bottom of the motor. It's driven by a gear on the front of the crank. It is fully acessable with the pan off. I would not condem that motor becouse it ran without oil for 15 min you cant kill them.
The ford book says you can drop the pan if you lift the motor until it hits the trans hits the firewall. You have to dissconnect a lot of **** but it is doable.

C

cash

I have "droped the pan" with an c6 tranny on a 7.3 and I could not get enough clearance so I pulled the tranny back.
This was 2 wheel drive.
But I agree these moters are tough, check it out.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its Very hard to get to the oil pump without pulling the motor. It is possible to lift the engine and try and drop the pan part ways, then reach in to drop the pump. However since you mentioned the bad noises, I still think you need to inspect the internals and since you will likely have to pull the engine to do a proper job with the pan and pump, you might as well at least inspect the bottom end.

I have a photo of the bottom end of the engine on a stand with the pump exposed to give you an idea of what you are up against, but for some reason the picture is to large to post!-cuss

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'd pull the motor instead of trying to work it in frame. By the time you unbolt everything and that needs to be unhooked so that you can lift it high enough to work on it, you might as well pull it the rest of the way out.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, I think I'm gonna pull it and have the rotating parts gone through at the machine shop. how much does a moose pump cost?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise you are hearing could also be whats left of the oil-pump thrashing around.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote is for a cracked pickup tube. Obviously you had oil presure when you started it. The fact that you can still crank it is a good sign. You could find out if it is the pickup tube or not by dumping another 10 quarts of oil in it. That would completely flood the tube and the main journals. I'm thinking the vibrations from idling and the temperature change may have been enough to cause a crack resulting in loss of pump vaccum.