Truck Died while warming up

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was letting my truck warm up this morning. When I went out to get in it, it was shut off. I started it back up and it makes bad noises. No oil pressure. I checked the oil and it was full, just changed it 300 miles ago with rotella. Is this a common problem? It always made good oil pressure, 25 at idle and 45 running. Has anyone ever had an oil pump just fail?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself, in old gas-burners, I have had THREE to snap the oil-pump shaft on a COLD start-up; they do this as soon as the engine moves.

It is possible that your pump snapped it's shaft as soon as you hit the starter.

How cold was it and what type oil was in it ??

Was it plugged in ??

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
26F. I had 15w40 rotella in it. it was all the way warmed up, that means that it was running for at least 15 minutes. I don't think that a motor can run that long without oil pressure. It had to have snapped it some time after it was kinda warm.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never checked that guage when I started it. I have no idea if it had oil pressure. With no distributor, what drives that oil pump?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil pump is driven off the crank by a large gear. I dought you broke the shaft. Maybe the screen plugged up with sludge but that is a WAG on my part. Sounds like you need to pull the motor now and see what happened. Sorry for this trouble on your end...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well if your truck truly did shut off because of no oil pressure...that to me says you have some serious problems going on internally and you might as well pull it and rebuild it (like bearing failures and what not is what I'm thinking)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was this oil change 300 miles ago something differant? How many miles are on the motor. The sludge idea is something that can happen when you change oil types or brands. It knocks loose all kinds of crap in the motor. Then it will plug up the oil pump pickup screen. We do have an oil cooler on these motors. They are kinda like a fin type cooler. The coolant flows thru the bundle while the oil flows around the tube bundle accross the fins where it gives up its heat. The fins are baffeled so the oil flows from top to bottom of the bundle untill it reaches the oil filter.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, I know it has to come out. I was just in denial for a while. How hard are parts to get for these things?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Wow, sorry you're seeing this. Is this the original engine? I'm going on a 2200 mile trip in the morning and now I have the eebie geebies.

Ugh