Truck died and will not restart

bmcbride1182

Reaction score
I have an 89 for F250 with the 7.3 IDI with an aftermarket hyper max turbo. I was driving on the hwy the other day and I noticed that my truck lost some power but I was able to keep running, once I took the off ramp and let off of throttle the truck died and I could not get it to restart. I started looking at the mechanical fuel pump to see if if was bad, but I have fuel spitting out of line going into the injector pump. I disconnected one of the lines going to the injectors and I dont have any fuel coming out of the injector line Im thinking it is the injector pump but would like to know if it could be something else.

bmcbride1182

Reaction score
it looked like Im getting a good flow of fuel to the injector pump but I can change the fuel filter and see if this helps

bmcbride1182

Reaction score
I checked the fuel shutoff solenoid and i could hear the click from it engaging and disengaging I was told that if I could hear this it is working

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000's of no start threads...

Tanks more than 1/4 full?

Lift pump squirting fuel out schrader valve on filter head?

Fuel filter?

FSS on IP functioning correctly? Try a jumper wire?

Fuel out injector lines?

Check in that order....should just about cover it I think...

JM7.3CW

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1000's of no start threads...

Tanks more than 1/4 full?

Lift pump squirting fuel out schrader valve on filter head?

Fuel filter?

FSS on IP functioning correctly? Try a jumper wire?

Fuel out injector lines?

Check in that order....should just about cover it I think...

JM7.3CW

Not trying to be rude here, but he already answered all of these questions...

He's got fuel coming out of the hard line right before the injection pump, so that eliminates the first three comments. He mentioned that he can hear the FSS clicking on the IP, so that sort of covers number 4. As for number 5, he doesn't have fuel coming out the injector lines. So something in the IP is causing issues. Either the FSS is not functioning properly even though its clicking, or the input shaft on the IP has sheared, which is unlikely.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's got fuel coming out of the hard line right before the injection pump, so that eliminates the first three comments. He mentioned that he can hear the FSS clicking on the IP, so that sort of covers number 4. As for number 5, he doesn't have fuel coming out the injector lines. So something in the IP is causing issues. Either the FSS is not functioning properly even though its clicking, or the input shaft on the IP has sheared, which is unlikely.

You are not beijg rude but I likely had the window open a few minutes before responding...there is about 10 min from his post to mine....that happens alot...i often open several windows at once read and go through and respond....on to next....could be one of those times....

Just saying

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One line might not be enough to check to rule out that you don't have fuel. If you leave everything connected and try to start the truck do you have any smoke at all out the exhaust or not? Any fuel leaking from a hard line? When one of my hard lines cracked air got back into the IP but not past it and it wouldn't start either. Seemed like I had fuel but I didn't enough to start the truck. Lift pump was still pushing fuel up to the IP but without the IP being able to suck the fuel in, the truck just sat in limbo until I fixed the hard line and filled the fuel filter right to the brim. Even had to tilt the truck nose down to get it to fire up again to have gravity help me.

Might be something to consider, could be total waste of time, just throwing it out there.

bigfoot

Reaction score
i am facing a similar issue right now - good gp's, fuel at schrader. no fire, no smoke at tail pipe. talked with Conestoga. last night i did what they suggested - pulled the governor cover (top cover) off the IP. Checked the FSS by jumping directly to the battery. seemed to be good there. manually moved the black rack on the passenger side of the top of the IP while cranking. that got it to fire. moved the rack manually and kept it running. after a few minutes it calmed down. started it a few hours later... no problem.

I think my issue might've been a sticking FSS or a stuck metering valve. i have 6 month old biodiesel right now, which could've been a culprit.

good luck.

Pilotguy1050

Reaction score

I am just a fly-on-the-wall, but I apprecited the checklist format of the troubleshooting steps. To me it added clarity to the first cry for help. In typing spevific words we sometimes assume the other guy knows what we think he said, but restating a diff way sometimes adds clarity.

Thank you both for trying to help. I am learning along the way.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just a little note about the fuel you "might" see coming out the injector hard lines. At best it will be a drop and nothing like the volume going into the injection pump. The engine drinks very little fuel at idle. Best to hold the throttle wide open when trying to see fuel at an injector. Even then its not much. As for the low level in the tanks. That happens when you get to about 1/4 tank and have broken off suction heads. The suction is now at the 1/4 tank level so it wont suck out the last 1/4 tank. That fuel becomes Holy Fuel. We never get to use it.... From what you have posted I believe you have a bad fuel tank change valve or a low tank level and broken suctions or a combo of what has been posted. Sorry I can't direct you to a "this is it"...

bmcbride1182

Reaction score
This might be too little too late but I just want to thank everyone for their help I added four gallons of fuel today and was able to get the truck to start I ran down to local fuel station, drive my driver rear tire up on a block and tried putting fuel in tanks the front one took about another gallon and started to act as it was full I tried to slowly add more but it will not take any more. The back tank will not take any fuel what so ever and I know this one is Empty looks like some new filler necks for sure. Once again I just wanted to thank everyone for the help

Pilotguy1050

Reaction score
This might be too little too late but I just want to thank everyone for their help I added four gallons of fuel today and was able to get the truck to start I ran down to local fuel station, drive my driver rear tire up on a block and tried putting fuel in tanks the front one took about another gallon and started to act as it was full I tried to slowly add more but it will not take any more. The back tank will not take any fuel what so ever and I know this one is Empty looks like some new filler necks for sure. Once again I just wanted to thank everyone for the help

My truck ( just got it home after a year storage in a field) has exactly the same issue! And the fuel selector switch is broke, only feeding off the front tank. I think i have the same solution to deal with. Thank you for this info....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online