Truck cranks slow after sitting.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fixed it. I got under the truck to look at the connection to the starter. It was pretty terrible. I had to flip the but over because it was so corroded that I would have had to file it flat to make that side work.

Cleaned everything up, now it cranks great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry you had to look so dep to find the problem but glad you did find it. Its never fun working on that area either. Now what caused the corrosion. Was it a loose connection arcing away at the dissimilar metals.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It was clearly from a loose connection arcing. There was localized melting.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So did you replace the starter some time back or is this the way you purchased the truck. Just wondering because meny previous truck owners have no idea what they have nor can they work on these simple trucks.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the way I bought it. It had occasionally cranked slow before, but it would only do it once a month or so. I'm wondering if there's any way to keep it tight in the future.

I put di electric grease on it to protect it from the elements, but that won't keep it from coming loose.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how well a drop of red loctite would do on copper but if you are that worried its worth a shot. I would say ise a lock nut but i would be afraid of turning that stud loose on the starter when you try and tighten it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Dielectric shouldn't be used. Lol

Use some petroleum jelly or battery terminal corrosive protection spray.
But in all reality, once it has a tight connection, corrosion shouldn't be able to get between the connections.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Just used what was on hand on the outside of the connections. Just seemed like a good idea.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dielectric grease is an insulator, a thin coat will pass current readily, dielectric grease is meant to protect connections and insulate, Vasolene/petroleum jelly is just as good.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Dielectric grease is an insulator, a thin coat will pass current readily, dielectric grease is meant to protect connections and insulate, Vasolene/petroleum jelly is just as good.

And don't you feel special when you buy the extra large vat of petroleum jelly? I always feel the clerks are looking at me funny, or maybe its just my imagination.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And don't you feel special when you buy the extra large vat of petroleum jelly? I always feel the clerks are looking at me funny, or maybe its just my imagination.

Nope. They're looking at you funny. And talking about you when you leave.LOL I'm guessing a few hand gestures like this...:Whatever: as well.