Trouble removing IP < E350 van>

mikeniowa

Reaction score
In process of removing IP as per helpful article by Mel.

Encountered many minor problems, < it's a van> . I found I had a major hangup.

I cannot raise the pump flange end up because top stud overhangs pump housing and flange..can't raise pump rear end because VAN cowl
will not allow enough clearance for fuel lines to pass over air intake bell.

What would you suggest? I'm thinking of pulling the intake manifold; but I'm so close!..........Mike

gandalf

Reaction score
I've never worked on a van, so I don't really know the answer. That being said, try swiveling the IP and hard lines counterclockwise, using the IP as the axis. So, the IP barely moves, but the hard lines, far end, move left about an inch. Then you may have more wiggle room to move the IP slightly to the read so you can life it above that gear housing and pull the whole unit toward you, up and out.

That may work, but no guarantees. As I say, I've never worked on a van.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have not worked on a van but I feel you should have the needed clearance with the hard lines still connected to the pump. The feed line from the filter must be removed for more working room as should the throttle cable mount on the intake manifold. The pump needs to move towards the passenger side after its moved towards t eintake. Then its slid up between the passenger side bottom stud and the top stud. Sorry I'm not more help on this. Someone with this experiance will chime in soon I hope.

mikeniowa

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I was able remove IP.

I opened the hard line clamp on the passenger side and removed the lowest line from the IP. That allowed me to raise the pump and lines over manifold
on driver side of the intake.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always remove the top stud. Slide the pump back just enough to unscrew the stud and then pull the stud up and out, it gives quite a bit more room to work with the pump.
When you install the pump, get it near the hole and slip the stud back down in there and screw it in before shoving the pump into place.

mikeniowa

Reaction score
Thanks Vegas

I thought about that but I was afraid the stud was cast into the gear housing; and didn't want to chance it. I am very glad to know that; I'll probably go back that way. ........Mike........

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hmmm, good to know. I had the luxury (!!?!) of having the engine on a stand before removing my IP.

Undoing those nuts on the side-studs is never a picnic. Way to go, Mike!

mikeniowa

Reaction score
Hi IDI

I reformed two wrenches "blacksmith style" so that I could reach and turn those nuts.

thanks...Mike

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I should do that before I need to, Mike...LOL Doing anything serious in-frame scares me bigtime!

Look up IDIDieselJohn. Yep, he's done van head gaskets in-frame. Heck, I can't even get a valve cover off in-frame! :hail:hail:hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger