Trip from #$@* is over.....rear tank inop?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of fuel tank stuff, where can i buy a sending unit? I went to autozone today and they said they couldnt order one :(

Sorry to say, but it is a Ford only item and about $120. Now, I've seen/heard of guys using a generic sender from JC Whitney, but never seen any specifics on it.:dunno

Heath

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The convenience of having the thing switch in the cab is too much for me to avoid :) - and no I don't want to put a pex valve in my cab floor thanks - something about the idea of fuel all over my legs isn't too appealing. That said I carry all the bit necessary to bypass the focher should the need ever arise again...

After four or more similar episodes as you are experiencing, I gave up on those junk electric selectors many years ago.

I have been using two MANUAL selectors for many many years and I would not let someone replace them with the absolute best electric one for free.

I still have all of the deceased electric valves around here somewhere as a testimony to their abilities.

I would do as someone suggested and by-pass the valve with hose to just see if fuel will draw from the tank.

It is possible that when you thought the fuel was gelling that it was actually the selector running you dry of fuel.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Do you have a right up, part #'s or any info on the manual selectors?

Here is where I get mine :

https://www.flowline.net/default.as...Direction=&SearchKey=SK115343PM&CurrentPage=6

I use WeatherHead #6747; it takes TWO, one for draw and the other return.

Sorry, no write-up, but it is just simple plumbing.

The convenience of having the thing switch in the cab is too much for me to avoid :) - and no I don't want to put a pex valve in my cab floor thanks - something about the idea of fuel all over my legs isn't too appealing. That said I carry all the bit necessary to bypass the focher should the need ever arise again...

No way for fuel to get in the cab from my valves, as the only part in the cab is the operating handles, located conveniently between driver-door and seat.

The actual valve and fuel-lines reside underneath the cab.

I've seen/heard of guys using a generic sender from JC Whitney, but never seen any specifics on it.:dunno

Heath

I did the J.C.Whitney sender retrofit on my front tank by following an excellent pictorial write-up done by FELLRO86.

I think the actual tech article is posted over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum-site.

Search these forums for links to the article.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I think that I am going to try and remain stock. the more I change things the less I remember what I did.....sounds like an excuse but its true....

Maybe get to it tomorrow...

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ok, so I was thinking this morning about this issue.

Why would changing the switch from front rear tanks kill the engine immediately? I would think that since there is fuel in the filter it would die after that has been used? Or may if there is a restriction somewhere in the fuel supply lines that it will cause the engine to die?

If anyone knows or has an idea let me know!

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ok I feel slightly like a drama queen right now!!! I got under the pickup and started loosening the rear bed bolts. I thought maybe I should just look around to see if anything was noticably wrong (yes I realize that should have been my first thought!!!!!)

Its at this point that I see the sending unit electrical connection is not fully seated. I pulled it apart tapped the ends to get loose dirt out and put it back together. I then went and started the pickup switched the tanks and it kept running on the back tank!

So, leason learned. Dont over-react!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys!!!!
Thad

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question about the engine shutting down immediately, in your situation, it is not so much that the engine dies from "running out of fuel", as it cannot over-ride the vacuum created by the blockage of the fuel-line, as if you put your thumb over the fuel-line.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
OK.....the saga continues.....

I drove it 25 miles to go to Sears and get a new impact when I realized that the guage on the rear tank wasnt moving. I switched it to the front tank and it was almost out.

So, now my issue that it is not actually drawing fuel from the back tank when the button is switched to the rear tnak. Although, it is showing the amount of fuel in the tank.

Any ideas? Currently I am thinking bad fuel valve. If it is I will take it back to Ford tomorrow but I thought I would bounce it off guys first....

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
If you want a new FSV do it yourself for less than $100 using the ebay link earlier the part new from an online vendor ford-parts is $120.00 the stealership will charge you north of $500.00 for the same.

OK.....the saga continues.....

I drove it 25 miles to go to Sears and get a new impact when I realized that the guage on the rear tank wasnt moving. I switched it to the front tank and it was almost out.

So, now my issue that it is not actually drawing fuel from the back tank when the button is switched to the rear tnak. Although, it is showing the amount of fuel in the tank.

Any ideas? Currently I am thinking bad fuel valve. If it is I will take it back to Ford tomorrow but I thought I would bounce it off guys first....

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
manky,
The dealer back home charged $175.10 for the part, I didnt have time to get another part on my own and I had no where to work on it and it was well below zero out. So, I let them replace it and now its under their warrranty so I am going to take it to them.

I am just open to sugestions.....

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
you're not running anything other than #2 are you? If so drain your tanks before you take it to Ford they'll try to blame failure on alternative fuels.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my manual tank-selectors and following stories like this one reminds me just how much.;Sweet