Transmission trouble.

masonfamilyo4

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Ford Excursion with 225,000 miles. Has the 7.3 deisel with the auto trans. The other day I was towing my small flats boat home and the trans lost all of it fluid at a stop light. It looked like it was being pumped out of the frunt of the trans. I got a tow home from one of my friends. I let it sit in the shop for 5-6 days. I found a new one at a Ford delear in tampa. Befor I let them pick it up I wanted to put new fluid in it to see what would happen. I filled it with new atf and all is well now. No drips! No slipping! Shifts fine in all gears!! What do you all think is:dunno wrong?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

trackspeeder should be along shortly, to give you details..

Sounds like you overheated the tranny and lost fluid from the front seal.. I've heard that things will be ok for a while, but you might consider replacing at least the seal..

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The front seal is getting tired. Most likely the factory gray seal. They usually start to leak in over heating conditions. Sounds like your situation. You can replace this seal with Precision #16601EV viton seal. This part resist heat well.

Other causes for a leaky seal. Failed pump bushing or damaged converter hub. Your leak has stopped for now. A new seal should fix it. Rule out these two.;)

If you tow a lot add a tranny temp gauge. It will give you a heads up if something is going wrong with the tranny.:D

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are moving at low speeds, or in reverse, the tow package cooler does not have a dedicated fan. So the truck moving through the air, or the engine mounted fan are the only things that move air through the cooler. The cooler on the 7.3 is minimal at best, as many will upgrade to the 6.0 cooler.... which is HUGE in comparison to the 7.3 cooler. Since the engine fan is triggered by the heat from the cooling radiator, if the engine is cool, and the transmission is running hot, it will not turn on to cool the transmission.

Another option, is a "remote mounted" cooler, which has it's own, thermostatically controlled electric fan (looks like the little cooler and fan on the back of semi's with the "idle eliminator" auxiliary cab HVAC system) This cooler's only job is to cool the transmission fluid, and can be mounted away from the radiator. It will do the best job at keeping it cool.

You could add a "pusher fan" to the existing cooler, and have a electric fan help the cooler that is there, like is factory on some vehicles... I had a Durango that had an e-fan to help the A/C work better....