Transmission shop near Yakima? (or Puyallup)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If it really came down to it, I could probably swap you convertors. I could ship mine out there and you could ship yours to me. The down side to that is that I don't think mine's a towing convertor. I'd have to check tomorrow.

I'll wait and see what is on offer around Portland. Shipping a TC would be expensive and there's always risk of damage in transit. I'm sure I could get one somewhere in a somewhat timely fashion. I'll just have to plot all that out before we take out the trans so we can minimize the downtime. Gonna call Maximum Overdrive and see if they have any deep sumps. Also will call Gear Vendors since I dunno how much theirs is, they barely even mention it on their extremely outdated site.

Scoped out a "light truck" salvage yard in the area that may have a driveshaft. I really only need the front half to be shortened, so that's all I need to buy, if possible.

I scoped out a pretty affordable (for the area, $33/night) gov run campground about 23 miles from his house, if for some reason I needed to just go stay there a bit while we wait on parts for a week or more. Seems to be booked on weekends though (naturally) so I might have to figure out something else those nights.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh boy I can't wait for the smell of burnt atf LOL Better than burnt gear oil or wasted supercharger oil.
An odd one is head bolts on diesels, they have the most funky smell ever on high mileage engines, and I'm talking like 600k+

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh boy I can't wait for the smell of burnt atf LOL Better than burnt gear oil or wasted supercharger oil.
An odd one is head bolts on diesels, they have the most funky smell ever on high mileage engines, and I'm talking like 600k+

It is still somewhat red, so maybe it won't be too horrible. -Flame Thr

I'm planning ahead ATF wise. I got a new gallon of Valvoline Dex/Merc a few days ago, in case I needed to add any in a pinch. I have a partial gallon from topping off P/S a ton last year when it was leaking badly, and more recently from topping off the trans.

It's hard to get your hands on right now from Walmart, so many empty shelves. I ordered the one available jug from the next Walmart 13 miles down the highway, so I'll stop there in the morning to pick that up. I need to return a gallon of Maxlife anyway that won't be wanted/needed in the new trans, and it was $8 more than non-HM ATF anyway. I was gonna return it after I found the non-HM at a different location, just haven't done it yet. When I got the high priced Maxlife, it's all that WM even had in gallon sizes.

I might have to order the other 2 jugs from WM and have 'em shipped (free if I toss in something with it to get the cost over $35). $16/gallon beats other retail prices of $20-26/gallon for store brands when a whopping 4 gallons is needed. Plus then it'll all be the same exact fluid. It's pretty good fluid, it's been keeping this C6 going 1000+ miles even with the slipping into 3rd.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Might want to find out how much fluid a dry c6 takes, my in laws E4od took 18 quarts to get to the full hot line, but that was also with a bigger cooler. Had to order atf from other Napa branches to get er full.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Might want to find out how much fluid a dry c6 takes, my in laws E4od took 18 quarts to get to the full hot line, but that was also with a bigger cooler. Had to order atf from other Napa branches to get er full.

That's true. Well, if I have to pay more for the last gallon or two, it's not the end of the world. Just trying to get as much of it as I can at the lowest price. O'Reilly wants $26/gal for their brand. Napa wants $32/gallon for Valvoline.

I see that a UPS store is nearby, so I may go rent a mailbox there to have stuff delivered to, so everything expensive (GV deep sump, yoke) will be safe from possible porch pirates. Only about an hour's walk round trip, not too bad.

I’d be surprised if it’s less than 12 quarts.
The info online says somewhere around 12.5 to 14 if you're draining pan and torque converter. Maybe 14 for 4WD? That doesn't take into account a completely fresh trans though. So, having 5 gallons on hand (20qts) wouldn't be a bad idea. I like to carry extra anyway for emergencies. Any extra unopened I don't need can be returned. I do know it took a lot when I changed the fluid in 2020, including the TC, and 12.5 sounds about like what it needed.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, I wanna share how I was filling the trans with the Lucas. LOL Engine was running like the instructions said. That funnel with the corrugated hose was an extra $3 but it makes it nice for filling without risk of dropping the funnel. The dipstick tube is rather buried so it took another piece of hose stuck on to reach it.

You must be registered for see images attach

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
When you get your trans rebuilt you should install a magnefine filter in the cooler line. I'm sure you are well aware the C6 only has a screen for a "filter".

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
When you get your trans rebuilt you should install a magnefine filter in the cooler line. I'm sure you are well aware the C6 only has a screen for a "filter".

Not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I put a power steering filter because the new pump said to.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So, how in the crud do you get an ATS 085 downpipe off? It's in the way of one of the bell bolts, and this sucker is stuck. @Cubey has a photo of it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So, how in the crud do you get an ATS 085 downpipe off? It's in the way of one of the bell bolts, and this sucker is stuck. @Cubey has a photo of it.

I tried a new thread about it but the bot has stuck it into needing moderator approval. I guess it doesn't like certain words I used?! Nothing bad even :dunno

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I guess I'll double post it here since we need the answer asap:

Got stuck on this, needing to remove the downpipe from my ATS 085 to get to transmission bolts. It looks a bit crooked, wedged to fit in a van? Some sheet metal on the body was chopped way back when it was installed in the 80s. Is there a trick to it besides WD-40 (why it's damp) and a small sledgehammer? The mounting bolt for the bracket is removed and it wiggles a little with a pry bar, but won't come out from the turbo.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been a LOOOONG time since I've even looked at one of these. I found an exploded view/parts list online. There is something called a seal ring. That looks like a large circlip. It appears that you have to remove that from the turbo exhaust housing and then the down pipe will slide out toward the passengers' side. That may or may be accurate since I'm going off of a parts diagram.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Externally there's no ring to remove. Looks like a slip fit and a bracket lower down holds it in place. No clamp or nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online