Transmission cooler lines

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put a new radiator in and since I was doing that I figured I would replace all the transmission cooler rubber hoses as well.

What I discovered is that although both the auxilary cooler and new radiator have 3/8 fittings for hose, the pre-formed lines going to and from the transmission don't, they must be 5/16 or something.

It turns out that whoever installed the auxillary cooler connected 3/8 hose to these pre-formed lines as well, clamping the hose tight enough to stay on.

My question how this is supposed to be setup if it were a factory setup? Is the system intended for a smaller hose size?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,factory for our year e4's used 5/16.it can be updated if you want for around $40 using the later 4r100 cooler bypass.this upgrades the line size to 3/8.
you should be able to do an advance search,using my username and keyword 'bypass' for more info,easily.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,factory for our year e4's used 5/16.it can be updated if you want for around $40 using the later 4r100 cooler bypass.this upgrades the line size to 3/8.
you should be able to do an advance search,using my username and keyword 'bypass' for more info,easily.
Thanks. I have the c6 but I'm assuming it should be the same.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
General thoughts are the 89 was the last year for the 5/16 lines be it the E4OD or the C6. When I purchased a trans from a back east company (I forgot the name) it came with 3/8 braided stainless steel lines. My BTS came with the 5/16 connections. I had to get a drill bit to drill out the back trans fitting to handle the larger fitting. BTS told me it required a trans be taken apart to keep the aluminum from getting sent into the rear bushing..... Not so if you know how to pack the hole and clean it out after drilling and tapping straight cut pipe threads.. Not a problem with ruined bushing either...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yup.for some reason i missed your signature showing an '86.

Gary,actually the e4od did come from the factory with 5/16 lines all through the production run,save for the final year; '97.then all 4r100's got the 3/8 lines too.

edit; some '97's i guess i should say,as this was the changeover year.

Last edited:

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I took a closer look at how everything was previously configured, it seems only the aux cooler had 3/8 fittings, not the radiator as I had previously thought, so probably someone who didn't know what they were doing just used the 3/8 hose everywhere. I'm thinking I will just replace the fittings on the cooler with smaller 5/16 fittings. I'm not sure though if these coolers are only designed for one specific line size or not?