Transfer Tank Cleaning

tierhog

Reaction score
I have just bought a 105 gallon transfer tank that has about 1g of #2 in it. The outside has some surface rust. It comes with a metered electric fill-rite pump. This unit hasn't been used in 3 years, but the pump does work.

Before I put #2 in it, the topic of rust/sediment/old fuel came up. I have heard everything froom pea gravel and water to metal bolts and Kero to clean the inside.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3M and some other companies used to sell some epoxy sealer that was used to coat the inside of a motorcycle tank when they get rusty on the inside. I also know that when I lived in Cleveland, there was somebody who would coat the inside of automotive gas tanks that got pin holed from rust.

I like the low budget pea gravel or bolts idea, but how the heell do you shake a tank that big around to agitate the gravel or bolts? If you can get most of the big chunks out, I would also think about putting some filtered waste oil in there as it will prevent it from getting any worse.

tierhog

Reaction score
Hmmm. Good Point. I plan on putting waste oil in there anyway.... I am about ready to simply dump the old fuel and add 80% WMO 20 % #2 and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online