trans question

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck feels like dog when it shifts from 2 to3 and 3 to 4 is it normal. What I mean. By a dog is it lugs when it shifts into those gears. My tps is in spec. Any ideas. Would a shift kit fix it

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like the engines state of tune is the issue,not the trans to me.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean state of tune. The engine runs great no missing or any thing

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you provide details about the engine;
how many miles?
how many miles on the ip and injectors? if replaced,with used or reman and by who?
the tps is set within specs,and those specs your going by is the old or the updated technical bulletin #186a?
do you know the engines current timing?
if timing is off,she'll feel real boggy and want to lug.combine that with a slightly improper tps value,and shes running like a 4 cly beater car at best.

what your currently feeling as the worse probably isn't mentioned.the torque converter lockup.the last semi shift you felt before the very last one.
if the engines state of tune is poor,and the tps slightly off,it can be a real performance let down,when it enters this "manual trans mode",because now your directly hooked up and have no assistance from the converter for torque multiplication.

Last edited:

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining what you meant. The truck has 105000 miles on it the up and injectors are stock. I don't know what the timing is set at I've never messed with it. The tps is set by what the tech section said to. The tq converter is locking and unlocking right I think because when I'm going 40 and push the brakes the engine revs up like its in neural.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next week I'm going to buy a new tps. Because I don't know how old it is

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wish i was close,id come tweak your timing and tps and show ya how's shes supposed to get along.:)
good luck!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I wish you were close to. I'll keep updating when I start messing with it. Thanks fordf250hdxlt

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining what you meant. The truck has 105000 miles on it the up and injectors are stock. I don't know what the timing is set at I've never messed with it. The tps is set by what the tech section said to. The tq converter is locking and unlocking right I think because when I'm going 40 and push the brakes the engine revs up like its in neural.

1990 f250 extend cab 4x4 fuel tanks moded and a rdt group 31 bats with 4/o red cables and 2/0 black ones ip turned up 1 flat soup bowl is gone more mods to come and running on wmo
Why do you delete your sig after the first posting?

Hard to believe a 90 has only105000 miles on it, in 22 yrs that's less than 5000 a year. With a five digit odometer, it could be anything, unless verified.

How is the trans. fluid condition, is it a bright red, and not low or overfilled, checked when HOT and engine running at idle speed.
There should be no difference or very little in engine speed when trans is shifting or when the brakes are applied.

If the trans is original, never rebuilt, it's quite possible the clutches are wore out, pump pressure may be low, trans filter getting plugged, low fluid, plus a number of other things.

gandalf

Reaction score
I'd tend to agree with OldBull on the possibility of the transmission causing the problem. It's certainly something to consider. If the transmission fluid gets too low it starts slipping just like a manual transmission. It starts to feel 'mushy'.

Bill, low mileage isn't all that uncommon. We have a 1987 Buick Century Limited with 38,353 miles. We bought it from my mother-in-law, who apparently kept it as a garage ornament. She was the original owner.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
My truck feels like dog when it shifts from 2 to3 and 3 to 4 is it normal. What I mean. By a dog is it lugs when it shifts into those gears. My tps is in spec. Any ideas. Would a shift kit fix it

This is normal for the early E4OD's. Being electrical a shift kit will not fix this.

You can play with the TPS to adjust the shift schedule.

If the TPS is old replace it. Set it to spec. Give it a road test. Then readjust to get your desired shifts.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TransDapt makes a shift kit for these transmissions. And a few places make electronic controllers for them B&M is one...it works just soso.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk