Trans cooler?

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be moving from NJ to S Carolina in a couple of months, and I'll be driving the 87 down. I will be pulling a small trailer with my bike, tools and whatnot. The total load weight will probably be around 4000lbs. I'm running 3.54 gears with a C-6. I just did the top end 6 months ago, so I don't think the motor will have any issues. I was wondering if I should get an additional trans cooler. If so, any brands or setups I should look for? It's only 800 miles, and I'm not going to be running it at 3000rpm, but some stretches I know the minimum is 70 mph. It's pretty flat, so no real hills to worry about. What do you folks think?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Check and see if you have one from the factory? I can't remember if my F250HD has one or not, but I think it does. It's several states away from me, so I can't check.

My RV does for sure. It's the cooler furthest out:

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the one I used, it's supposed to have a thermostatic control built in so it won't overcool the fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Autom...ords=Hayden+oil+cooler&qid=1620814618&sr=8-5#

Any automatic transmission vehicle should have a secondary cooler! You might not NEED it, but an auxillary cooler with a thermostatic control is a worthwhile Install for longevity regardless. Eventually they'll get hot. An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if a fan assisted one is overkill. The Hayden one looks good and simple- thanks. I don't have a lot of time to put into the truck right now. Too busy getting my house ready for sale.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my opinion that a transmission can't be over cooled. I have done it on a TH400 and the E4OD long term without a problem.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I plug the inlet and outlet on the radiator or use those also?

Run it through the radiator and then through the aux cooler. Radiator will also help bring the fluid up to proper temperature when it's cold outside.

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on taking I-95 all the way, or something like I-81 to I-85?
(Eastern or Western side of SC?)

I95 is just a sterile highway and primarily flat.. the other is more scenic, but with hills and mountains to go through.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another NJ member!

For my truck with the e4od I eliminated the radiator cooler and plumbed in my own giant aux cooler and added a thread on external filter.

I eliminated radiator after running with it and then without and finding slightly lower temps without. This was while diagnosing overheating pukey transmission (was bad pump ugh).

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on taking I-95 all the way, or something like I-81 to I-85?
(Eastern or Western side of SC?)

I95 is just a sterile highway and primarily flat.. the other is more scenic, but with hills and mountains to go through.
I was thinking of taking 95. It has plenty of stops for fuel. Probably going to be no fuel at them, but whatever. Figures this BS would happen when I'm getting ready to move. Pulling a 5x9 trailer with my bike and as much of my tools that I can fit in the truck and around the bike. I'd love to take a scenic route, but I think the fastest is in order. Going to the coast.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the pipeline is on its way back to operating. Maybe things will be back to normal shortly.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about putting in a 150 gallon in bed tank. Seen one for sale on Craigs.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about putting in a 150 gallon in bed tank. Seen one for sale on Craigs.

I did, came in handy a few times! It's nice to be able to say "wow, that's $0.50 cheaper than I've seen yet, I'll take 75gal LOL

It's also nice when you're starting to get nervous because you haven't seen a gas station in a couple hours and you're in the middle of nowhere getting low on fuel.