TPS

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Is the TPS also known as the FIPL? I called the dealership looking for an FIPL Sensor and they had no clue what I was talking about. Is this what I'm looking for? The dealership wanted 133 for a throttle vacuum sensor.:dunno No clue what they are talking about.

I'm picking the truck up from the tranny shop after having it looked over before the warranty expires. They say the tranny looks fine(which it should be after the money I dumped on it) except that it was a half a quart low on fluid and that it spit a FIPL code. They say they don't work on diesels there and I'm thinking....what? You would probably need to know about the tranny related electronics before accepting to work on my rig.

Something seems fishy, especially since they did the work almost a year ago I took it back 2 times regarding the shifting issues and they said all was well. Then there's the issue of the tech leaving his clipboard in my truck that say FIPL out of position. And I asked the manager if they corrected the issue and he said that they all read like that. hmmm. I'll know more later. Either way, should the tranny use fluid if there is no leak? Thanks for any input.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...tk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4294966995

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD use the FIPL sensor (TPS) C6 uses a vacuum regulator valve.

Look in the IDI tech articles for a write up on adjusting the FIPL sensor. It also has the part number for a new one. If your truck has high mileage you should replace the sensor with the new style one.

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
The FIPL measures 1.1-3.8 I'll replace it just to be sure and see if it still throws codes. I suppose it could test good on the ohmeter yet still be defective. Is it true that you have to leave the batteries disconnected for 15min to remove the old codes.

According to this a new one may need to be adjusted as well. hmph

Fuel Injection Pump Lever sensor--E4OD The screws holding the FIPL sensor bracket to the injection pump are epoxied, but enough adjustment may be achieved by loosening the screws holding the FIPL sensor to its bracket.
The FIPL should be adjusted using a scan tool. Remove the throttle cable and return spring, reinstall the spring so that the throttle is held to WOT. Enter and retrieve KOEO and Continuous trouble codes. After both fast and slow codes have been retrieved, turn on the scan tool speaker and press and release the OverDrive Cancel switch. Continue to press and release the ODC switch until the scan tool begins to beep repeatedly. A gauge block for the throttle lever can be improvised using the 13mm head of an 8mm bolt. Insert the head of the bolt between the flat boss on the right side of the injection pump and the throttle travel screw.http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/pump2.jpg The beeping should become a steady tone. If it doesn't, loosen the FIPL sensor (T-15 torx screws) and adjust to get a steady tone; a faster beeping occurs when the the FIPL is set too low.
If a scan tool is not available, connect an ohm meter to the top and center FIPL terminals and adjust to 1800 ohms +/- 50 ohms. You can check the adjustment of the FIPL by back-probing the center wire of the FIPL sensor connector with a digital volt meter. The voltage should read 1.0-1.1 volts at idle, 1.6-1.9 at 30 MPH, and 2.0-2.5 at 55 MPH.
If these readings can't be achieved, replace the FIPL sensor and re-start this procedure. It may be necessary to remove the epoxy from the bracket screws (T-27 torx screws) to adjust a new FIPL sensor.