Towing issues?

Chadillac

Reaction score
Sorry for my lack of lingo but am I correct when I say the pipe with the 4 bolts that the turbo sits on top of is the down pipe? Like I said before this is all new to me!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my lack of lingo but am I correct when I say the pipe with the 4 bolts that the turbo sits on top of is the down pipe? Like I said before this is all new to me!
The down pipe is the pipe that connects to the rest of the exhaust and flows out to the back of the pickup.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told that when you're towing with the e4od, you should lock out the overdrive. I've always done that, and never regretted it.

Chadillac

Reaction score
The down pipe is the pipe that connects to the rest of the exhaust and flows out to the back of the pickup.

I just got home from work and looked. The egt sensor is plumbed into what I am assuming is the up pipe going from the manifold into the turbo. Does that give a more accurate reading?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got home from work and looked. The egt sensor is plumbed into what I am assuming is the up pipe going from the manifold into the turbo. Does that give a more accurate reading?
Yes that will give you more accuracy, and more importantly your numbers will be in the "norm" when you read most info regarding EGT.

With the probe pre-turbo your EGTs are within reason for pulling/towing/hill climbing. Keep her under 1150 and your engine will stay happy and not have melty pistons!
However if the probe was after the turbo then it's like 950 max safe EGTs so you can see why many of us were concerned earlier about those readings.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Yes that will give you more accuracy, and more importantly your numbers will be in the "norm" when you read most info regarding EGT.

With the probe pre-turbo your EGTs are within reason for pulling/towing/hill climbing. Keep her under 1150 and your engine will stay happy and not have melty pistons!
However if the probe was after the turbo then it's like 950 max safe EGTs so you can see why many of us were concerned earlier about those readings.

That’s a relief! This forum is a really great tool to have

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
By lock out OD, are you saying to keep the shifter in 3 so the tranny can't get to 4th/OD?
You could, but the easy way is to use the cancel button. On the brick noses, it's on the dash while it's on the end of the shift lever on OBS trucks.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I borrowed a trailer when I moved, so first time towing that trailer, but not the first time towing any trailer.
ran fine through town, but acted up as soon as I was up to speed on the freeway
lacked power, ran high rpm, smelled like the trans was cooking, especially under power
I thought my new trans was shot so I stopped at a random trans shop half way through my 800 mile move.
they told me the same.
I limped it along, stopping way too often to let it cool and finally made it home.
I did some searching on here and was pointed to trailer wiring, the trailer had a bad ground, it tricked the trans into thinking I was on the brakes which prevents the converter from locking
might not be your issue, but it's something to consider

Black dawg

Reaction score
The tranny sat in 3rd for what felt like an eternity getting up to over 3000rpm. The boost was reading around 10psi and the pyro was around 1000-1100.

3000 rpm in third is 65+ mph with 4.10 gears...…...doesn't sound like it runs that bad.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on do not tow in od,
flat\downhill maybe...

Black dawg

Reaction score
+1 on do not tow in od,
flat\downhill maybe...

the owners manual says not to tow in OD if over 50% rated capacity. I always figured if an NA idi could hold overdrive with a load it was probably ok. With a stock e40d and a turboed engine I would be careful about running overdrive loaded.