Towing issues?

Chadillac

Reaction score
Im wondering if I have an issue here. I have a 1994 f250 7.3 with a banks sidewinder mated up to an e4od with a banks trans command module. The rear end is geared at I believe 4:10.
The truck has 106k and the transmission has been rebuilt.
This past weekend I was towing my 4000lb trailer and I had the thing floored to get up a small grade from a standing start. The tranny sat in 3rd for what felt like an eternity getting up to over 3000rpm. The boost was reading around 10psi and the pyro was around 1000-1100. The trans temp was around 210.
It seems that this thing should pull an ultralight camping trailer with little to no effort. Am I missing something here or doing something wrong? I’m planning on going over the cascades and bitteroots next month. I’m new to towing and a starting point for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your air filter and replace the fuel filter if it hasn’t been done in 3500 miles. If all that is good I would advance the timing a dimes width

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of your numbers seem to be okay, but it does sound like performance is down. I will be interested to see what happens with some timing adjustment.

I tow a 7000 lb travel trailer with my NA e250 that has a c6 and 3.54 gears. Uphill performance isn’t great, but I very rarely put the throttle on the floor even if starting up a hill of some kind.

With it on the floor were you blowing much black smoke out the exhaust?

As far as the holding 3rd gear, I would expect it to hold a gear longer with your throttle position and for towing purposes you usually want the trans to shift later anyway. Any idea what kind of torque converter was put in with the trans rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadillac

Reaction score
I’m really not sure what kind of converter is in there. And I didn’t see slot of smoke either.
I’m going to try to figure out the timing this weekend along with the fuel filter.
Would me changing fluid in the rear end help any?
Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I’m new to this whole diesel/towing stuff and the sound of that thing not shifting is very unsettling!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m really not sure what kind of converter is in there. And I didn’t see slot of smoke either.
I’m going to try to figure out the timing this weekend along with the fuel filter.
Would me changing fluid in the rear end help any?
Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I’m new to this whole diesel/towing stuff and the sound of that thing not shifting is very unsettling!

Changing the fluid in the rear end could be a good idea, but it wouldn’t have anything to d with towing performance or the trans shifting.

So when the trans shifted, did it shift well/quickly? Is it it’s that it held the gear for longer than you liked? These motors are made so they can run against the governor all day with no issues.

With is floored and no smoke you may want to see about upping the fuel a little. You definitely don’t want to be blowing a lot of smoke, but a slight haze while you have it floored would be expected. Just keep an eye on your EGT. More fuel can produce more heat. Make sure your air filter is clean and your exhaust is free flowing.

I would do timing first though.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect to see any black smoke with sustained wide open throttle with that turbo.....I would expect to see higher egt.

basics first, filters and check timing. probably needs the fuel turned up a little.
What rpm are the WOT shift points?
Are you sure about trailer weight?
Every time power doesn't feel quite right with my truck, I have underestimated trailer weight.

Where is the egt probe located??

Last edited:

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper boost and EGT should mean its getting enough air and fuel, and making power at the crank.

Maybe a transmission problem?

Chadillac

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect to see any black smoke with sustained wide open throttle with that turbo.....I would expect to see higher egt.

basics first, filters and check timing. probably needs the fuel turned up a little.
What rpm are the WOT shift points?
Are you sure about trailer weight?
Every time power doesn't feel quite right with my truck, I have underestimated trailer weight.

Where is the egt probe located??

I’m not sure what the shift points are, but I have noticed that when it goes into lockup sometimes with out a load it seems wonky. It’s hard to explain because I don’t know a damn thing about transmissions.
As far as the trailer weight, it’s a 17’ single axle Viking. My wife’s Honda Pilot seems like it pulls it just the same up hills.
The egt sensor is located at the top of the down pipe right behind the turbo.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Pretty tough to guess max egt with probe in the downpipe. Maybe others with pyro there can add info.

The way the e40d is controlled in these trucks is wonky for sure.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do some filter checks, play with the timing, and maybe play with the fipl adjustment as well. You need to get the sensor closer to the exhaust port, if you dont want to deal with tapping threads I sell a bung you can have welded into your crossover pipe just below the exhaust manifold. You dont need any more fuel with that egt number, but an intercooler would dramatically help with towing.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the shift points are, but I have noticed that when it goes into lockup sometimes with out a load it seems wonky. It’s hard to explain because I don’t know a damn thing about transmissions.
As far as the trailer weight, it’s a 17’ single axle Viking. My wife’s Honda Pilot seems like it pulls it just the same up hills.

How big/steep of a hill was it? The thing is that even with a turbo you aren’t gonna be fast, but it sounds like something is amiss.

I don’t have to floor my NA e250 with my 7500lb trailer behind it. It just takes a bit to get up to speed.

Have you replaced the fluid in your trans recently? Didn’t want to say “flush your trans” since it usually starts the “flushing it will kill it” debate.

I do mine every spring prior to travel/towing season.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless they started turbocharging the v6's no way a Pilot out pulls a turbo IDI! My XC90 is only 2.5L Turbo but cant even think about towing my 4500# trailer without crying a little. Takes all day to get up to speed and wont really pass 60mph.

Maybe like @Black dawg said I'm underestimating the weight of my trailer...but either way something is certainly wrong if the Pilot is pulling as good. FWIW the Pilot isn't rated for 4k towing...

Reactions: Clb

Chadillac

Reaction score
Unless they started turbocharging the v6's no way a Pilot out pulls a turbo IDI! My XC90 is only 2.5L Turbo but cant even think about towing my 4500# trailer without crying a little. Takes all day to get up to speed and wont really pass 60mph.

Maybe like @Black dawg said I'm underestimating the weight of my trailer...but either way something is certainly wrong if the Pilot is pulling as good. FWIW the Pilot isn't rated for 4k towing...

The pilots max tow rating is 4500 so we figured towing the trailer dry would be ok. Oh and don’t get me wrong, the pilot isn’t too much of a happy camper on our camping trips!

Chadillac

Reaction score
How big/steep of a hill was it? The thing is that even with a turbo you aren’t gonna be fast, but it sounds like something is amiss.

I don’t have to floor my NA e250 with my 7500lb trailer behind it. It just takes a bit to get up to speed.

Have you replaced the fluid in your trans recently? Didn’t want to say “flush your trans” since it usually starts the “flushing it will kill it” debate.

I do mine every spring prior to travel/towing season.

I just changed the transmission fluid
Last month and the levels are good. I didn’t flush it. The hill wasn’t that bad, just long.