Towed for the first time, learned some things.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, this past weekend, we towed out 28 foot travel trailer about 100 miles across the state to mt. Magazine state park. It was a great time camping and the truck performed quite well for a 21 year old truck with 204,000 miles.

I learned 3 things this weekend.

1. This Dually controls the weight of my 7000 pound camper better than anything I have ever towed it with. Engine braking was more than sufficient to barely use the brakes coming off the mountains of west arkansas. These are only about 1000 foot grades overall, but I was happy. I didn't even have to use my sway control...

2. I seriously need dome more insulation on the floor and firewall. My air conditioner could not keep up with the heat radiating from the floor. I have already installed a crown Vic blower motor, but it seems weak also. I need to keep the heat out and blow more cold air!

3. The interstate was NOT an option for this n/a engine and the care behind it. It held speed really well at 65 until you hit any little grade, then it was downshifting and watching the 18 wheelers pass. We got off on the 2 lane and did great. I learned that I neeeeeeed to get that banks turbo installed as soon as possible of I plan to pull on the freeway. I am hoping that will help with that anyway.

All in all, I was very pleased because I knew what to expect. Don't get in a hurry, but you will get there.

I even got a big thumbs up from an OBS power stroke owner as we pulled in the campground.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
At least you got a thumbs-up. I actually got a "dude, your 460 is about to blow a rod through the block, with it knocking so bad like that" once. I just shook my head at the guy and didn't bother telling him it was a diesel. Apparently Powerstrokes only come in Super Duty's. :dunno ;Really

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell i hear ya on needing to go turbo, i have a 7.8 mile stretch of 7% or 8% grade up hill on the highway by my house, and i think about the same on the backroad but much much shorter sharper turns where you slow to 15mph then pick up again (i forget the member on here, but he'll know what i'm talking about) it SUCKS towing up either of them n/a. just mash the throttle and drive it like youre having a baby

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
you could get some type of port/polish job and headers with a K&N filter with a 6.9 air filter housing.

He's already got a turbo set-up sitting in his garage waiting to go on it.

By the way Chris, when you DO get around to installing it, let me know. I'd like to get some experience installing one if you want the help.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My plan for the engine involves a cam, worked over cylinder heads, studs, and a banks sidewinder. I have the turbo kit complete that I pulled at a salvage yard, all the way down to the banks exhaust system. I am also thinking about a 90 cc pump also, which probably means intercooler. To say I can't wait is an understatement.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just waiting on a few more things before I install it lindstromjd. I am going to have the heads worked over by hillcrest camshaft in little rock, and I need to rebuild the turbo, just for good measure. I would also like to have a new moose pump ready and waiting.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My plan for the engine involves a cam, worked over cylinder heads, studs, and a banks sidewinder. I have the turbo kit complete that I pulled at a salvage yard, all the way down to the banks exhaust system. I am also thinking about a 90 cc pump also, which probably means intercooler. To say I can't wait is an understatement.

I like that plan. I added a Banks turbo, "typ4" cam, Moose pump, Moose injectors, studs, and an intercooler ('99-'03 7.3 PSD) to my 6.9 after the rebuild and it has really make hauling the 32 foot Fifthwheel a more pleasant task. The addition of a Rodney Red radiator has eliminated my coolant temp issues while hauling as well. With the Moose fuel, I really need a more turbo. I'm leaving some fuel at the table for sure. Will wait and see what Mel has for the crew cab in a month or two. He is working on some other turbo options for these IDI's at Conestoga Diesel.

Heath

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the hills kill the IDI's, but they will get the job done. I've towed all over with my 89 crewcab and thought it always did reasonably well.

That turbo should really wake the truck up.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. I seriously need dome more insulation on the floor and firewall. My air conditioner could not keep up with the heat radiating from the floor. I have already installed a crown Vic blower motor, but it seems weak also. I need to keep the heat out and blow more cold air!

Have you done the Exploder by-pass valve? This shuts the heater core off when not in use and take a serious load off the A/C.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do away with the AC and keep the heater.

not an option here in Arkansas. If this summer is anything like last I wouldn't be surprised to see paint burning off of cars.

cpdenton, next time you have the trailer out take the extra 2 hours to try the 540 run up here to Fayetteville.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the hills kill the IDI's, but they will get the job done. I've towed all over with my 89 crewcab and thought it always did reasonably well.

That turbo should really wake the truck up.

You are right with that statement. I took my truck up an 8% grade near Chico and couldn't get it to go any faster than 65mph unloaded lol. N/A idi's seem to pull the best when the rpm's are ski high going up steep grades. Kind of funny that I have to floorboard my truck but my dad can go up the same hills in o/d cranking about 1400 rpm and the truck not even working hard at all LOL. It is interesting when comparing my truck with my dad's. The 6.9 idi is the first diesel that Ford put in their trucks and his is the newest (6.7 powerstroke). Technology has come a long ways over the years that is for sure. Still think mine sounds better ;Sweet.