Tow and Haul RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started the build on the low profile 1998 F-800 I picked up for $3k. Will get a sleeper, a roughly 10' wheelbase stretch and a 26' low profile beavertail body for hauling RVs...... Haul one (at least one) and tow a second. Will also be flexible to transport cars, boats etc..

Quick Specs
  • 5.9 Cummins 12 valve
  • Allison 4 speed automatic
  • 3.54 gears
  • 245/70R-19.5 rubber
  • 26k GVW
  • Juice brakes
  • 177" wb
You must be registered for see images attach

Have picked up a 36" sleeper from an F350 and 19' of 50,000 psi frame and crossmembers from another F800 for $700

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing all work myself exept for the driveshaft and a little upolstry work in the sleeper. I used to build medium duty trucks from the frame up, have stretched several and I have excellent welding skills as does GEO who will asist me with the sleeper install and the stretch in the next few days. Some of what I'm doing is too advanced for the avg home handyman.

If you have never done a frame stetch and can't weld at least this well, don't attempt it.

Busy day today. Got the sleeper removed from the old cab (what a PITA), removed the entire interior, latches, locks and emblems, got it turned around and up on stands and marked the old cab back to cut out a template.

Decided to scratch cutting the bottom couple inches off, will relocate the battery box instead if necessary.

Tomorrow, I will take the doors off, clean, sand prime and paint if time permits. Reason for takin the doors off is that I am doing a color change and I hate opening a door jamb and seeing a different color. IMHO It makes for an unprofessional paint job.

As for my flimsey looking Redneck Gantry, it's actually pretty stable and well braced..... but it's only designed to lift a couple hundred lbs too. Don't use one made with 2x lumber to hoist engines.

Last edited:

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
;SweetVery cool i am jealous please take LOTS:rock: of pics as you make progress. What are you using for the driveline? :hailI will be holding my breath waiting for the updates.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
12v cummins i think that needs twin sticks and something bigger engine wise that would be cool air ride on the sleeper and suspension is definatly a must
but that looks like a great project you got goinn there
me id like to take a single axle pete 359 with a 3408 cat i know hard to finde but ill put it in if i have to and do the same to it but thats a ways down the road though
keep us posted

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12v cummins i think that needs twin sticks and something bigger engine wise that would be cool air ride on the sleeper and suspension is definatly a must
but that looks like a great project you got goinn there
me id like to take a single axle pete 359 with a 3408 cat i know hard to finde but ill put it in if i have to and do the same to it but thats a ways down the road though
keep us posted

Twin Sticks, why would anybody wanna work that hard these days, 4 gears is fine, I don't need 15 - 40 different gears to chose from

379 Pete w/ 3408 CAT;Really:rotflmao ......... You're gonna be bankrupt really fast building an RV transporter. All you need to do this is a class 5 or class 6 truck. Gross combination weight will usually be under 26k so the 5.9 is plenty, 8.3 is borderline a bit much. When you drive over the road, fuel is your single biggest expense....... Of course with the gold plated 3408, repairs and parts may be your biggest expense. Me, I'd never have another V-8 diesel of any kind.

Can't do air ride sleeper with a fixed cab. Air ride suspension with self leveling and dump like the Kelderman air ride suspension will be happenng.

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Dang mike....ya got buzy after we talked ;Sweet

Dis gonna be fun :D :thumbsup: Gots my gear dusted off :eek:

Too bad I don't have the coin to pick this up!

I can get good penetration with stick.....would be sweet to have the option :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang mike....ya got buzy after we talked ;Sweet

Dis gonna be fun :D :thumbsup: Gots my gear dusted off :eek:

Too bad I don't have the coin to pick this up!

I can get good penetration with stick.....would be sweet to have the option :D

I get good penetration with my stick too:eek::love:LOL

That suitcase MIG is nice.

Look at the 10 day Forcast, can't get much better than that over the next 8 days. Time to get busy. Need to get off my *** and get the sleeper in white so it's ready to put on Friday or Saturday. Will give you a shout and make a plan tonight.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making progress. Today I cleaned, sanded, removed the doors, sprayed sealer (so the red wouldn't bleed into the white) and shot the white on the shell. Still have to paint the doors but my primary focus is the shell so we can start mounting it to the cab and chassis tomorrow.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Twin Sticks, why would anybody wanna work that hard these days, 4 gears is fine, I don't need 15 - 40 different gears to chose from

379 Pete w/ 3408 CAT;Really:rotflmao ......... You're gonna be bankrupt really fast building an RV transporter. All you need to do this is a class 5 or class 6 truck. Gross combination weight will usually be under 26k so the 5.9 is plenty, 8.3 is borderline a bit much. When you drive over the road, fuel is your single biggest expense....... Of course with the gold plated 3408, repairs and parts may be your biggest expense. Me, I'd never have another V-8 diesel of any kind.

Can't do air ride sleeper with a fixed cab. Air ride suspension with self leveling and dump like the Kelderman air ride suspension will be happenng.

ok put it this way if i ever fell into moeny some how and trust me i know the costs of thoughs trucks it still would be cool but really unrealistic though but garenty that itd be fast up these hills out here in the southwest and that is another reason id go big is for these mountinest terrain we have

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7