Tow and Haul RV transporter build

MMeier

Reaction score
Looking good.. for a ford. Are you sure it has 3:54's out back? I always thought the F 800's came with a real low set of gears. :dunno Where do you plan on running?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good.. for a ford. Are you sure it has 3:54's out back? I always thought the F 800's came with a real low set of gears. :dunno Where do you plan on running?

Hey, It's got goat guts.:backoff

Yep, 2000 RPM = 55 mph. Calculates out correctly too, truck doesn't have overdrive. It's also a low profile truck, if it had tall 22.5 or 24.5 tires the gear ratio would be 4.11 or taller for the same RPMs

I run lower 48, all of Canada and Alaska.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Wow, why don't You guys live up here in MD. I only dream I could weld like You guys do.

Looks great.:thumbsup:

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao:hail:rotflmao

Yea, that's just what I need to do....... Soot up the trailers I already have to wash before I deliver them.cookoo

Only stacks this truck will see is the stack of trailers, cars and boats I winch onto it...... And the stacks of Benjamin Franklin$$$$$$ it puts in my pockets:love:

I don't want to hear it driving and I don't want to smell it sleeping. Exhaust is going out the bottom in front of the rear tire.

well in that case then i wouldnt put stacks on it at all since your going to be making moeny with hauling other peoples rv's i thought it was personal use

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well in that case then i wouldnt put stacks on it at all since your going to be making moeny with hauling other peoples rv's i thought it was personal use

Nope. I'm a professional RV transporter leased to Horizon Transport. This is what I do for a living besides sitting on my butt waiting for my VA check every month.

Just stepping up a notch to transport 2+ at a time vs 1. For a slight increase in operating expense I can increase my gross revenues 50 - 100% and compete on a level the single tow pickup contractors can't touch.

Even if this truck gets as bad as a 10 mpg avg I can still make more than I can in my pickup at rates as low as 75% of what I currently get on a single tow. Rates and fuel costs won't affect me as much as they do now and right now rates are being slashed right and left as companies scramble to get freight.

Also with the market moving to smaller lighter RVs they don't want to ship single tow, there is high demand for the very few tow haul trucks out there. Take my own company, out of 600 or so contractors we only have 4 tow haul trucks leased on and they want more.... many more.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Nope. I'm a professional RV transporter leased to Horizon Transport. This is what I do for a living besides sitting on my butt waiting for my VA check every month.

Just stepping up a notch to transport 2+ at a time vs 1. For a slight increase in operating expense I can increase my gross revenues 50 - 100% and compete on a level the single tow pickup contractors can't touch.

Even if this truck gets as bad as a 10 mpg avg I can still make more than I can in my pickup at rates as low as 75% of what I currently get on a single tow. Rates and fuel costs won't affect me as much as they do now and right now rates are being slashed right and left as companies scramble to get freight.

Also with the market moving to smaller lighter RVs they don't want to ship single tow, there is high demand for the very few tow haul trucks out there. Take my own company, out of 600 or so contractors we only have 4 tow haul trucks leased on and they want more.... many more.

So the age of the truck won't matter?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
So the age of the truck won't matter?

I would like to believe that so long as the rig is insured for the cargo, is rated to haul what it is hauling and passes DOT inspections, what would it matter if it's a 20 year old truck or an '09 :dunno

I've seen some pretty nazty old hot shot rigs towing some valuable machinery and Mike has some sweet plans for a solid running and looking rig ;Sweet

MMeier

Reaction score
IIRC, when you first sign on with them, they want nothing older then 5 years, once you're in you can keep running the thing till it falls apart.

MMeier

Reaction score

So, what are they paying for a single haul now, are they going to double that for a double haul, or just give you a percentage more then a single???? :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online