Totaled my truck

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Wel that sure sucks big... So what about a get to gether BBQ soon. I will bring a timing meter and... A GRILLMASTER.....:eek::sly He sure knows how to smoke or grill anything. The foot coming off his grill is out of this world. He will smoke ribs or tri tips or anything you want... Gees... I'm hungry just typing this.... Lets just do it...:angel:

Well I'm down with it, I'm heading back to UT to close out my house and then heading back to CA for a few events. My plans are to purchase a 90' F350 14' U-haul and retro fit it to becoming a RV and being able to haul my merchandise with me. I have a busted 29' RV that I will be gutting stuff from before it goes to the scrapper so I have a good start on it.

The box truck has a C-6 trans in it and after talking to Towcat I will need a GV to retain my sanity while driving it all over. I'm hoping to retain the turbo from my donor truck to help git the brick down the road. I'll be starting a thread on this build after I get the truck.:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think they listed their purchase price. Maybe it's an RV thing? Anyways the next RV they got they listed it at market price (as they bought another for below what they normally run).

They finally took what they offered them I think 6-8 months afterwards. At that point progressives lawyers were getting involved because my mother found out which comp adds they called for price quotes (to find market value) and every single one said the person didn't announce who they were and offered them roughly half the average price. My mother called them out and lawyers then stepped in saying she had one warning and no more "libelous" actions on my mothers part.

It was a law firm contracting out for progressive so she took it upon herself to have many communications with them as possible. Her thought was that since progressive wasn't going to pay out, that she could at least spike their lawyers fee's LOL

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
I think they listed their purchase price. Maybe it's an RV thing? Anyways the next RV they got they listed it at market price (as they bought another for below what they normally run).

They finally took what they offered them I think 6-8 months afterwards. At that point progressives lawyers were getting involved because my mother found out which comp adds they called for price quotes (to find market value) and every single one said the person didn't announce who they were and offered them roughly half the average price. My mother called them out and lawyers then stepped in saying she had one warning and no more "libelous" actions on my mothers part.

It was a law firm contracting out for progressive so she took it upon herself to have many communications with them as possible. Her thought was that since progressive wasn't going to pay out, that she could at least spike their lawyers fee's LOL

All I know is this whole insurance stuff is a load of BS :puke: It's just a racket that the state forces you to have insurance, you make your payments and then when something goes wrong you get screwed and without the nice stuff like dinner or lube. :eek:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is this whole insurance stuff is a load of BS :puke: It's just a racket that the state forces you to have insurance, you make your payments and then when something goes wrong you get screwed and without the nice stuff like dinner or lube. :eek:

The moral of this story is never pay for full coverage on old vehicles. Get enough liability to cover your butt if you hit someone and put the difference between liability and full coverage in a truck replacement bank account. Unless you wreck your truck every couple of years you will find that after about five or six years you always have cash for new vehicles.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full coverage is so cheap for me I cant afford not to have it, and thats the only way I can get a rider for the camper and buggy trailer. But I also have about 12k in mine ,documented.

wmoguy

Reaction score
sort of resurrecting an old thread here, but relevant info. I double verified w/ State Farm today as to "what happened if I totalled my truck" and had full coverage. The answer I got was: we'd pay you NADA value for the vehicle.

Considering I have roughly 13k documented into this truck that was not acceptable to me. So for literally $60.08 more per year I got a documented value policy that if totaled, I'd get a check for $13k no questions asked. All I had to do was email my State Farm agent some pics of the truck, and an appraisal from a car dealer and/or send them receipts on all the $$ that added up to this 13k value. That was easy to do.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Which NADA value do they go by? Clean retail value? Trade in?

My 92 LS400 has a clean retail value on NADA of $4,600, the trade in was $3,300. I paid $3200 for it.
It didn't ask me about options or anything, just year, model, mileage.
I should also mention my car has a rebuilt title. I currently have full coverage on it for $30 a month.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Which NADA value do they go by? Clean retail value? Trade in?

My 92 LS400 has a clean retail value on NADA of $4,600, the trade in was $3,300. I paid $3200 for it.
It didn't ask me about options or anything, just year, model, mileage.
I should also mention my car has a rebuilt title. I currently have full coverage on it for $30 a month.

She told me, but frankly I can't remember which one it was now. Yea full coverage if you're a little older, good driving record, multi-car discount, etc... really isn't a spendy proposition. Mine if I back out the discount I get for paying annually it works out to about $45 a month. I can live with that.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
sort of resurrecting an old thread here, but relevant info. I double verified w/ State Farm today as to "what happened if I totalled my truck" and had full coverage. The answer I got was: we'd pay you NADA value for the vehicle.

Considering I have roughly 13k documented into this truck that was not acceptable to me. So for literally $60.08 more per year I got a documented value policy that if totaled, I'd get a check for $13k no questions asked. All I had to do was email my State Farm agent some pics of the truck, and an appraisal from a car dealer and/or send them receipts on all the $$ that added up to this 13k value. That was easy to do.

That is how ALL my vehicles are insured. By a set value, not by a KBB, NADA, EDMUNDS value

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Pissed off Veteran

I just flipped though the postings of this thread, and I have to say... I am ******* pissed. I have come into this rather late, but if I had known earlier, I would have written the law papers for the lawsuit and made Geico regret being pathetic. I hate Geico anyway, when i was 19 I tried getting insurance form them and was rudely told by a woman that worked for them "shut up, go away, and come back when your 25 and we MIGHT talk to you". That was uncalled for. As for the truck, had I know about this sooner, I would have said screw it and sold you my truck. Not even joking. I hate seeing people ******, and it chaps my ass these companies get away with ruining lives and making lives hell.

That said, I have one final thing to say :

If you need anything at all, tell me, message me, get my number and call me. I don't care what time of day, when, or why. I am a military veteran and I am here to serve you, unlike Geico's sorry ass. Pardon my horrible french, sincerely so. I just HATE stories like this regardless of legal, insurance, or anything. Nobody deserves being screwed. If I had the extra money right now, I would straight up BUY you a 4x4 truck. I wish I could.

Sincerely glad as all hell you and wife are ok.

Duane Dalles Schlender, D.A.V.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
I just flipped though the postings of this thread, and I have to say... I am ******* pissed. I have come into this rather late, but if I had known earlier, I would have written the law papers for the lawsuit and made Geico regret being pathetic. I hate Geico anyway, when i was 19 I tried getting insurance form them and was rudely told by a woman that worked for them "shut up, go away, and come back when your 25 and we MIGHT talk to you". That was uncalled for. As for the truck, had I know about this sooner, I would have said screw it and sold you my truck. Not even joking. I hate seeing people ******, and it chaps my ass these companies get away with ruining lives and making lives hell.

That said, I have one final thing to say :

If you need anything at all, tell me, message me, get my number and call me. I don't care what time of day, when, or why. I am a military veteran and I am here to serve you, unlike Geico's sorry ass. Pardon my horrible french, sincerely so. I just HATE stories like this regardless of legal, insurance, or anything. Nobody deserves being screwed. If I had the extra money right now, I would straight up BUY you a 4x4 truck. I wish I could.

Sincerely glad as all hell you and wife are ok.

Duane Dalles Schlender, D.A.V.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Dave.

My wife and I are glad we made it through it relatively unscathed. The outcome of the insurance company certainly could have been better but it's done now. I'll be taking my business else where for the new rig and dropping the coverage on the wife's SUV soon as well.

The new build is an 89 IH S1600 26' box truck that will be transformed into an rv and haul my merchandise from show to show. I'll be starting a new thread on it when I get some things straightened out.

I hear that Eugene is a really cool place and I have an event there next year so hope to meet up while I'm there.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Misc.

First time i have ever been called Dave. lol... Name is Duane :) the D.A.V. title means "Disabled American Veteran"

You mention hauling merchandise, what kind of merchandise, if I may ask?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geko dropped it off here today. imho it's repairable. but then again, I can rebuild just about anything other than a hot burn.cookoo
see pics. the tow company was ******** for loading the garbage into the truck though. in kali it's illegal to do that.
more pics on the next post.

Attachments

• SL375045.JPG
    SL375045.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 36
  • SL375046.JPG
    SL375046.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 28
  • SL375047.JPG
    SL375047.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 20
  • SL375048.JPG
    SL375048.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 15
  • SL375049.JPG
    SL375049.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 14
  • SL375050.JPG
    SL375050.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 24
  • SL375051.JPG
    SL375051.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 22
  • SL375052.JPG
    SL375052.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 32
  • SL375053.JPG
    SL375053.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 22
  • SL375054.JPG
    SL375054.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 28

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more.....

Attachments

• SL375053.JPG
    SL375053.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 5
  • SL375054.JPG
    SL375054.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 5
  • SL375055.JPG
    SL375055.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SL375056.JPG
    SL375056.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 20
  • SL375057.JPG
    SL375057.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SL375058.JPG
    SL375058.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 24
  • SL375059.JPG
    SL375059.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 21
  • SL375060.JPG
    SL375060.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SL375061.JPG
    SL375061.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 18
  • SL375062.JPG
    SL375062.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 23

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
notes....
after seeing the truck up close and personal, I can see why the insurance company was holding tight at their numbers. even though the stated mileage is a hair over 100k miles, the rust bubbles on the passenger side and the sandblasted condition of the front end would give them reason to assess at 200-300k miles. the underhood is very clean though, so that does help. if it doesn't knock after firing up, the truck is repairable. lord knows I have enough parts to get this done in two weekscookoocookoocookoo