Totaled my truck

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stay tuned on this thread;Sweet
hopefully he will know soonish. i need to do something with that CC dually parked in front of the other shop asap. it would be a good thing for you though. I can clear out two trucks and get yours in after his is done.
That's always a good thing :angel: I just hope that my work slows down a bit from the current break-neck pace...I've hardly had any time to myself over the last month! :shocked: and on top of everything else, now I need to do something about my truck's tires so I can run her down to L.A. ...

I thought Russ was interested in that dualie?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just got the notice on the value. They claim it's market value is $4,075 and are hitting me with almost $1,500 in condition so wanting to settle for $2,554.

The evaluator is a moron as he is stating that the truck has black oil, burn marks on the tail pipe and that the engine compartment has many oil leaks. (Uhm, diesel?) The seats have several rips and heavily worn, carpets are worn out and headliner is torn up as well. In actuality the seats are in great shape, carpets are too and the headliner does have two tears in it and some blood from my wife's head wound. Oh and that I have a cassette player, funny thing is that their photos and mine show a CD player.

The other thing that has my ass chapped is that the comparison sales in my area are with f250's and are in three separate states. All of the current listings of trucks for sale that are 91-94 F350's are anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000. I'm about to phone them and talk about all of this but wanted to calm down a bit before I yell at them.
before you talk to him, print out all the comps you have been looking at. also, if there was any work or parts installed in the last 3 months, have the receipts handy.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
before you talk to him, print out all the comps you have been looking at. also, if there was any work or parts installed in the last 3 months, have the receipts handy.

Work and parts aren't much in the last 3 months. I have the receipts from the tach sensor, thermo and an air filter.

Is the CC you have a full four doors?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
All CC's are full 4 doors.

I agree, do a search for these trucks in a 3 state area and print out as many as you can find. Ask him to find that same truck that you can buy for under $3K.

You have a lot of room for negotiation but as you said, calm down and do it with a calm but firm resolve and as much data as you can trow at him.

Also let him know how much an ATS turbo is!

Good Luck!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Work and parts aren't much in the last 3 months. I have the receipts from the tach sensor, thermo and an air filter.

Is the CC you have a full four doors?
yup. four door, long bed, 2wd though. the body is an '86 but I do have two sets of late model (87-94) doors for the rear.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sp I was playing around on Autotrader.com doing some searches for your truck to get some prices, There are ZERO bricknose F350 4x4's within 500 miles of Riverton Utah.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
All CC's are full 4 doors.

I agree, do a search for these trucks in a 3 state area and print out as many as you can find. Ask him to find that same truck that you can buy for under $3K.

You have a lot of room for negotiation but as you said, calm down and do it with a calm but firm resolve and as much data as you can trow at him.

Also let him know how much an ATS turbo is!

Good Luck!

I totally agree that if this is all they are going to give me then by all means find me a replacement for what they are going to give me. As for what the
$1,500 penalties that he's docking me for I guess I should have had a mobile detailer come out and do a deep clean before they looked at it. As for the oil seepage in engine compartment, what do they think it was going to do? It was on it's side and the oil leaked from the fill cap. The burnt marks on the tail pipe? It's a diesel for crying out loud, it's what they do.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
yup. four door, long bed, 2wd though. the body is an '86 but I do have two sets of late model (87-94) doors for the rear.

My wife really wants the 4 wheel drive option in the truck. Would it be possible to take the 4x4 from my truck and switch it over? The axles should still be in good shape so if it's a matter of swapping them out it could speed up the rear end rebuild, or am I way off in my thinking?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's always a good thing :angel: I just hope that my work slows down a bit from the current break-neck pace...I've hardly had any time to myself over the last month! :shocked: and on top of everything else, now I need to do something about my truck's tires so I can run her down to L.A. ...

I thought Russ was interested in that dualie?
tim-
i can get you hercules a/t for $109 cost or yokohama a/t for $137 cost.
if you want heavy haul rib I can get yokohama y887r for $172 cost.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Well it's now finally over.

As to previous inquiries as to the name of my insurance company, GIECO.

Total payment on my truck after all said and done, including retaining it is about $3,300.

Mostly the insurance claim adjuster wouldn't budge on the value of my truck due to the fact he was seeing trucks on Autotrader.com for around $3,500 despite the fact that when I looked at the same site with the same search terms, I found 0 trucks. The fact that I didn't have a "mechanic or professional shop" documenting my mileage left my truck with "unknown" mileage and slapped me with 185,000 miles. Despite my sending over 13 comparable truck listings, they wouldn't budge off of the 3 F250 single cabs that their third party vehicle appraisal company based my trucks value off of.

I decided to take the offer for a few reasons, but mainly because I really can't keep doing what I do with out a truck and it is costing me more the longer I wait.

I can't afford a lawyer and they have a law firm so drawing this out in court isn't my first choice.

The other options were to either pay out of my personal pocket for another appraiser to come out and examine the truck and then we arbitrate over the price at which it could go higher or lower than the offered price, or they execute the owner retention clause and tow the truck back to my home for me to do with it as I see fit and receive nothing.

So like it or not I decided on the offer and now I'm shopping.

Moral of this experience? Document your truck every once in a while with a shop, sock a few hundred away every month for just in case, don't use GIECO, and lastly avoid the 299 outside of Redding, CA.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go get the uhaul we talked about.
I just bagged a GV in need of rebuild. it's off a t-19 so you'll need to find a C6 adapter.
ever find out where the truck is at?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Insurance companies suck, sorry bud.

My parents fought progressive for months over the value of their totaled RV. They bought it for 10k less than what they normally....but they would only pay out what my parents paid.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
go get the uhaul we talked about.
I just bagged a GV in need of rebuild. it's off a t-19 so you'll need to find a C6 adapter.
ever find out where the truck is at?

Yes I did, I called and left you a message about it but it's in Rancho Cordova just outside of Sacramento.

The good news is they are willing to tow it anywhere I wish within 500 miles at no charge to me. Send me a PM with your address and when the best time would be for me to have it delivered.

As for the U haul we spoke about, I'm heading there in the morning to test drive it and if it works out they've already accepted my offer of $1,200 from the asking price of $1,595.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wel that sure sucks big... So what about a get to gether BBQ soon. I will bring a timing meter and... A GRILLMASTER.....:eek::sly He sure knows how to smoke or grill anything. The foot coming off his grill is out of this world. He will smoke ribs or tri tips or anything you want... Gees... I'm hungry just typing this.... Lets just do it...:angel:

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Insurance companies suck, sorry bud.

My parents fought progressive for months over the value of their totaled RV. They bought it for 10k less than what they normally....but they would only pay out what my parents paid.

Out of curiosity, how did they know what your folks paid for the RV? I never once mentioned what I spent on my truck to the insurance adjuster, truth be told I've made a little from my original purchase price but not if you figure in the new alt, thermo and tach sensor, belts, air intake and such.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin