Totaled my truck

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
So looks like my "rolled my truck" joke came back to bite me.

On our way home from CA on the 299 I rounded a turn and next thing I know we are sliding on the drivers side. It is all very clouded in my mind as to the exact details but I do know I wasn't speeding, I was awake and not under any influences.

My wife took a slight cut on the top of her head and we are a little banged up but it could have been a lot worse. Looking at the highway incident reports the same day there were 4 other wrecks on the 299 and out of those two fatalities. The patrolman who talked to me and the wrecker who picked it up both said that had we been in a newer truck it would have come apart and that would have been it for us.

We are still waiting to hear from the insurance company as to what they have planned for it and what we are looking at in reimbursement. I always told my wife it was kinda silly paying the extra premium on it but with the coverage we have it has been so far worth it.

At this time the truck is on it's way to Sacramento to the insurance yard for them to assess the damages but I have been told that it is most likely a total loss. Looking at current listings of trucks shows a replacement of around $3,500 to $5,000 but not sure what they are going to do. Truck has an aftermarket turbo, trans cooler, cold air intake, new tires, camper shell, new tach sensor, new thermo, new alternator.

If there's anyone in that part of the world, please speak up as I would like someone who might be willing to be my eyes and hands in the area depending on what they are going to do.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 114

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Hell, all it looks like it needs is a fender 2 doors and a bed side. but then again it is OLD and they will total it. Probably giving you 3k at most

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sacto is roughly 2.5hrs away from me, but dealing with insurance and salvage is my specialty. drop me a pm if I can be of help.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Hell, all it looks like it needs is a fender 2 doors and a bed side. but then again it is OLD and they will total it. Probably giving you 3k at most

From what I could see I would agree with you. I did see that the front end will need work as the arms are bent up, and the highway patrol said something about the front axle being busted up. He also mentioned he had a truck very similar to it.

My heads still a bit hazzy from all of this.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, were the other wrecks on the same stretch of road/??

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Yeah the 299 highway is extremely curvy and the other wrecks all took place in the same day.

Most of the curves have posted 20 to 30 MPH signs that are huge! I had the transmission in 2nd so I wasn't speeding or riding the brakes. All I recall is slowing down more as the semi in front of me drifted a little and threw up some stones, went around the corner and that's where I felt two big bangs and we were up on the side embankment until we tipped onto the drivers side and slid to a stop.

The slide mark to our stopping point was maybe 10-15 feet.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness you and your wife are okay!!

I've been on parts of the 299 before...that road really is a very windy mountain road...

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sux about the truck but on the plus side yall are ok.

Keep us posted on the insurance. Im just curious to see what they actually give for it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like someone pushed you over as you went into the turn. Think of it this way... As you are going into a right turn someone gets under your right rear bumper. Then bumps you over. Maybe you should have a look at that end of the rig. You even said you heard two bumps and you were off the road...:dunno

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they try to lowball you make sure you have a list of all the aftermarket additions on the truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone pushed you over as you went into the turn. Think of it this way... As you are going into a right turn someone gets under your right rear bumper. Then bumps you over. Maybe you should have a look at that end of the rig. You even said you heard two bumps and you were off the road...:dunno
gary-
that's a very risky move on winding mountain roads. also, for that move to work, the person doing the bumping needs to be heavier than the target.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Find out the buyback...if it's fairly cheap, you could part that truck out for probably equal to, if not more, than what you bought it back for....rather than sending good (and rare) parts to the crusher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin