Topside oil change?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even bother with getting the engine warm. I've done engine rebuilds where I put all the miles on, often in excess of 200k, and I've not once had a sludge issue.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X3 on the Fumoto drain valve with the nipple, a short hose on it keeps the oil from blowing all over in a windy day when changing oil outside.

Changing oil and filter.

Attachments

• DSCN0745.JPG
    DSCN0745.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 100

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fave oil change....run it hot...just before bed....pop drain plug....let drain over night...

Remove COLD FILTER in AM..install new filter and drain plug and oil...fire up and voila done...

I ALWAYS ....LOTO....on steering wheel so I do not ever fire oilless engine.

JM15/40CW

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Then there's the time your in a rush and add oil but forgot to put drain plug back in
and you lose 3 quarts before you can get the plug back in. :backoff

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the key and the drain plug in the same spot. usually my pocket.

Purchased the vacuum system from harbor freight to change the oil on my tdi (aluminum pan strips out easily. Mine really needs to be changed next time I pull the plug. I have new pan, just didn't want to disturb a good running vehicle till it has to go down for other maintenance.)

Anyhow, it works GREAT on the tdi,.. as someone already stated, you can do filter and all from under the hood. However, to use it on the 7.3 you'll need a longer suction hose than what comes with the kit. I haven't scrounged a longer hose yet, but eventually I will probably do so. I usually change my oil a little more frequently than most, and change the filter every other change, so for me it will work into my maintenance pretty well I think.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I just disconnect the batteries when I drain the oil if I'm walking away for any length of time, always reminds me and there is ZERO chance of turning it over dry :dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be worse...the fleet "mechanic" at my work once did an oil change in a Cadillac Escalade. I got into the car to do an airport pickup and got a "Check oil level" warning on the dash. I immediately shut the engine off and went to pull the dipstick and it was dry. Turned out the guy who did the oil change forgot to put oil back in :shocked: and the car was moved from the garage to the parking lot like that. My boss chewed him up one side and down the other, and he didn't last much longer after that...and neither did the Escalade :shocked:

To the original question, I've done the suck-the-oil-out-of-the-dipstick before on my Jetta. It got most of the oil out, and is considerably easier than pulling the belly pan to access the drain plug. The oil filter is accessed from up top, so when sucking the oil out from topside, I don't have to get under the car at all. However, I still like to do it the "hard way" and drain from the drain plug once in a while. I figure this lets me get out any sediment that may have built up in the bottom of the pan.

Regarding the Fumoto valves...I've considered one before, but I have to ask about them. How far below the oil pan surface do they stick out compared to a factory plug? I've always been worried about a stray piece of road debris reaching up and snapping it off, especially if you do any off-road driving. Has anyone, particularly with a 4x4, had that issue or seen the potential for that issue? What's the likelihood of something like that happening? That's the single biggest thing that's stopped me from giving it a try...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Still haven't heard of anything like that happening on a truck.
If something is there the axle will hit it first, then the cross member.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom line is that you have gravity and access to the drain plug.

i use these containers for coolant, and boat engines.

can you do it? sure.
but why would you?
alot easier and faster doing it conventionally.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
The Fumoto is a great idea. But I do go offroad, so I am not sure how plausible that is. If anyone can chime in on that, that would be great.

And I believe my original question was answer quite thoroughly. Essentially, yes you can do a topside, but theres no need to.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used them in my four wheel drives (Jeep and F-350). Just be aware it is there. You would have to be doing some WILD four wheelin for a rock to get past the front dif and into the oil pan. :eek:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know, apples to oranges, but it's the best I can do......

Here is the FUMOTO Valve, without nipple, on my 03 6.0 Excursion.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin