Topside oil change?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Can it be done and would it be as good as a traditional oil change? Has anyone done one on an IDI?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I do an oil change, the vehicle (diesel or gas) is at full operating temperature. Pull into garage and remove drain plug asap, hotter the better. IMO this is the best method for removing any deposits. The oil will drain very quickly because it's thin due to heat and the deposits are suspended within the oil. Consider this as an example. Imagine a bucket of water with a pound of dirt mixed in. If you stir the water & dirt mixture followed by immediately draining it from the bottom while the dirt is suspended, most of the dirt will exit in the water. If you perform the same experiment without stirring thus allowing the suspended dirt to "settle out" the draining procedure will remove very little dirt. Just my two cents..........

I'm also an "oil burner"! I've sent many many gallons of used motor oil through my 7.3 IDI and one thing I've noticed over the years is the amount of crud that settles out in a 55 gal drum of used motor oil. Nasty looking stuff!

My suggestion is to let gravity and heat work for you and continue draining oil from the bottom of the pan while hot.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Seems to me you take a simple job of changing your oil then complicate it :dunno @catbird7
Thats how I do it let it run awhile then drain
just don't get any on you instant de skinning.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, stay clear of the hot oil! It's one of those lessons you learn the first time and never forget.........

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I suppose one could suck the oil out thru the dip stick tube. I know some boat engines can only drain the oil that way. Some ski boats need the exhaust manifold removed to get the oil filter off too. Boats can be a real pain to maintain correctly. Our idi engine is simple. Your question was not wether you knew how to change oil. Your question was valid.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It can be done. Many people do it on newer tdis. If it's good enough for them, definitely good enough for a idi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I was just seeing if it is possible. I know how to change the oil.
Chill Man
Cat bird was just talking about the method he uses and I was agreeing.
I don't have any experience with "Top side oil changes" so I'm not saying yea or nay
on it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How kuch simpler can it be...remove drain plug and remove filter...you have to be down there anyway to replace filter so why complicate it with vacuum from dipstick tubecookoo

Besides any sludge is NOT likely going to drain well where as if done out drain plug it can.....and u can always toss a few qts diesel in fill hole with drain plug removed to get out even more grime...:dunno

Just do not see sense in making a stupid simple job more complicated than need be.

JM7.3CW

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way you get the oil out doesn't matter. You still have to get on your back to swap the filter. While you are down there minus well drain it from the bottom man.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I have done the suck through dipstick on boats, where there simply isn't room to access the drain plug and mess would be a nightmare. My current PCM 454 has a hose off the drain plug with plug in the end. I remove plug from the oil pan hose and stick the suction in that hose to remove oil when it's up to temp. Always drain or suck from bottom when practical, you'll get more of the nasty stuff that way. No reason not to pull the drain plug on an 80-97 truck, it's quick, easy, and clean. If you're really lazy get one of those drain valves, basically a compact ball valve (Fumoto?) that replaces the drain plug. I've been tempted but too worried it may inadvertently open or leak while driving.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been running a Fumoto Valve for 15 years and never a leak or drip. Great valves!

Dave

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change the oil on my Mercedes that way, the filter is a canister type that you change from under the hood, so you can do the whole without getting under the car.

I've used the vacuum sucker on my truck as well, works fine but you have to get under the truck to change the filter anyway so it ends up taking more time. My truck is much higher off the ground, so I can wheel a comfy creepy under there and grease up all my zerks as well. So; on the truck I stick with using the drain plug.

On lawnmowers, motorcycles, and most other small engines the sucker rules!

I'm pretty sure the sucker will pull as much out (likely more) as draining. Another benefit; it's easy to suck the oil out while the engine is smokin' hot and all the crud is well mixed up with the rest of the oil. I drain the oil from the bottom just as hot, but it's definitely riskier burnwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online