Top end assembly after sitting for a year

Grant Cdebaca

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m about to reassemble my engine after taking my heads off for a valve job about a year ago. I’ve been adamant about keeping everything covered while the van has been sitting, but to be safe I want to do a good oil rinse through the valley/etc before I get going. advice is greatly appreciated.

I also rigged up a pretty decent system for getting the heads back on through the dog house without a crane. Trying to make it a one man job start to finish. I’ll be sure to post some pics.
Thanks y’all!

Grant Cdebaca

Reaction score
I guess I’m just double checking in case it’s not as straight forward as I imagine, and to see if anyone has any extra steps they’d throw in. As far as I understand you pull the plug and pour oil through the oil fill and valley. Maybe blow some air through the port holes in the block? I’m a novice and never been this deep into an idi before, so I’m trying to be sure I can rule out as much as possible if I have any issues once I get it fired up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you want to, pour a little bit of oil on top of your lifters. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about trying this. I would recommend an oil change shortly after getting everything put back together and running instead. I don't see where dumping some oil into the lifter valley would have any benefit over running the engine and then changing the oil fairly quickly.