Top end assembly after sitting for a year

Grant Cdebaca

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m about to reassemble my engine after taking my heads off for a valve job about a year ago. I’ve been adamant about keeping everything covered while the van has been sitting, but to be safe I want to do a good oil rinse through the valley/etc before I get going. advice is greatly appreciated.

I also rigged up a pretty decent system for getting the heads back on through the dog house without a crane. Trying to make it a one man job start to finish. I’ll be sure to post some pics.
Thanks y’all!

Grant Cdebaca

Reaction score
I guess I’m just double checking in case it’s not as straight forward as I imagine, and to see if anyone has any extra steps they’d throw in. As far as I understand you pull the plug and pour oil through the oil fill and valley. Maybe blow some air through the port holes in the block? I’m a novice and never been this deep into an idi before, so I’m trying to be sure I can rule out as much as possible if I have any issues once I get it fired up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you want to, pour a little bit of oil on top of your lifters. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about trying this. I would recommend an oil change shortly after getting everything put back together and running instead. I don't see where dumping some oil into the lifter valley would have any benefit over running the engine and then changing the oil fairly quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online