2. More Air Out
3. More Air In
4. More Air Out
5. More Air In
6. More Air Out
7. More Fuel
8. Repeat

I think you missed 1-7.

I dont think he is complaining about power??

If it were me I would set timing a little slower to about 8*. If the smoke is still too much I would turn it down a flat at a time until it is clean enough for you.
4000' I wouldnt consider high elevation. My no turbo truck (with pump up about a flat and a half) smokes less than that at 8000' pulling a good load.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Id try turning down the IP and if you can double check the timing (take with a grain of salt Im currently fighting high EGT problems as well)

I dont think he is complaining about power??

If it were me I would set timing a little slower to about 8*. If the smoke is still too much I would turn it down a flat at a time until it is clean enough for you.
4000' I wouldnt consider high elevation. My no turbo truck (with pump up about a flat and a half) smokes less than that at 8000' pulling a good load.

Glad Im not the only one that thinks 4000' isnt high elevation... not even sure my trucks ever been that low (was up at 10,000' yesterday and lives at 5,280')

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long overdue update. Moved from Helena MT to Bemidji MN last year. Elevation change from 4000' and up to about 1300'. Have made no changes to timing or pump or anything and have the following to report.
1. Almost never blows any black smoke (unless deliberate stomp on it)
2. Truck shifts back an forth between 4th and 3rd on its own at correct times to avoid black smoke or high EGT (on the tiny things called hills here). This is compared to my need to manually turn off OD and cruise on bigger hill climbs out west.
3. Hitting a high EGT seems to be a thing of the past, even pulling moderate load (trailer with small skid steer)

Truck running good, though I believe has developed a minor valve cover oil leak on each side.

Anyway, I thought these performance differences, from only an elevation change, are interesting.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. That's very good information to have... That's funny, if you call those "tiny things" hills, whaddyou call what we got? LOL Speed bumps??? ;p

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live @3000 ft and i get some smoke. Go down hill and no smoke. Go up especially over 5000 ft and im rolling coal just cruising

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online