Too dang cold...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've can now say I've had my fuel to gel..........yup it can happen even in Kentucky. It was -1 this am and I had the truck plugged in. It started and ran for about 20-25 seconds........then it began to protest! Missing, really rough idle. It just worsend with a little encouragement from the right foot.LOL I run straight pump diesel (I doubt it is winter blend) and I had 3 psi from the Holley Red when this was going on (a pound or two less than usual).

I finally just gave up and drove the wife's GMC Denali.:mad: I'll just wait for it warm up a bit and hope this is as cold as it will get this winter.

The grey Power Service (Diesel Kleen) isn't the best anti-gel additive.....LOL But they don't sell the Red stuff here. Is the White bottle better???:dunno

Heath

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Mine started fine this morning and its -6* out here....Cold enough that I had my gloves off for 1-2 minutes and I still cant feel my fingertips!!!!!

But then again we have the winter blend up here hanging around $2.29 while gas fluctuates as mush as the temperature does!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Heath the white bottle is all I use and I've never had a problem it was -15 here last night and its just now up to -2. I do however double the amount so the jug only treats 150 gallons instead of 300 but for no more then it costs its worth the piece of mind.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up some Diesel Kleen a couple nights ago just because I knew it was supposed to get this cold (It was -1 this morning) and I wasn't sure if the fuel would gel or not. Called for 8 oz per 25 gal, I put probably 12 or so oz in my front tank just to be sure. I can't remember if it was the white or the gray bottle...whichever is the anti-gel stuff.

No problems this morning, anyway :)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll see if I can get a bottle of the white Power Service on the way home tonight. If you're fine at -15, I'm sure that will be all I need here.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So the bluegrass was frosty too eh Doc?

The white bottle of Power Service I use as well.

As Aric said double it up.

I did notice that I have both formulas for LSD and ULSD. So just check the bottle as it should say ULSD formula.;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I picked up some Diesel Kleen a couple nights ago just because I knew it was supposed to get this cold (It was -1 this morning) and I wasn't sure if the fuel would gel or not. Called for 8 oz per 25 gal, I put probably 12 or so oz in my front tank just to be sure. I can't remember if it was the white or the gray bottle...whichever is the anti-gel stuff.

No problems this morning, anyway :)

I'm pretty sure the diesel kleen is the gray bottle and the 911 is the red bottle and the white is the antigel fuel conditioner. While both the gray and white bottles say they do the same stuff the kleen is for just that cleaning while it may help with other things the white bottle is for fuel conditioning while it may help clean:dunnoLOL But who knows its liable to be the same stuff in all 3 bottlescookoo.

Heath around here TSC is the cheapest place I have found to get power service. Truckstops usually have more readily available but cost as much as $5 more a bottle and if you have to around here even walmart has it:rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:yell:Y'all had better read them bottles a little closer.

The GREY bottle "Diesel Kleen" does nothing to prevent fuel-gelling; it is for summer-time ONLY.

The RED bottle "Rescue 911" is not anti-gel, but fuel-line antifreeze; it is only to be used after the fuel has froze, or late in the fall to carry any moisture out of the system before freezing weather.

What you want to use in cold weather is WHITE BOTTLE Power Service, as it has the anti-gel benefits.

Many that holler they had PowerService to fail were using the wrong PowerService.

Also, it does no good to pour some in just once in a while; it needs to be added at EVERY fill-up.

That that was put in three weeks and five tanks ago is long gone.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem with my fuel here. Guess it pays to always get it at the same place, and know that it's good quality with winter additives.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
no problem with my fuel, just the water in the fuel filter (I knew i shoulda drained it last week)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went home for lunch and drove the truck back to the office. The comment about Diesel Kleen not being a good anti-gel additive was supposed to be sarcastic MNR (ie the LOL smiely).................but that's not always easy on the web.;Sweet

I'll grab some on the way home. I wonder what will happen with Diesel Kleen (grey) and Diesel Fuel Supplement (white) in the same tank?:dunno:D

Heath

Last edited:

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Went home for lunch and drove the truck back to the office. The comment about Diesel Kleen not being a good anti-gel additive was supposed to be sarcastic MNR.................but that's not always easy on the web.;Sweet

I'll grab some on the way home. I wonder what will happen with Diesel Kleen (grey) and Diesel Fuel Supplement (white) in the same tank?:dunno:D

Heath

I'd only do it if you added red too ;Sweet

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that the bottles together wouldn't hurt too much. :dunno But any way if it was me I would be careful not to put too much in. You never know what might happen.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Went home for lunch and drove the truck back to the office. The comment about Diesel Kleen not being a good anti-gel additive was supposed to be sarcastic MNR (ie the LOL smiely).................but that's not always easy on the web.;Sweet

Heath

BOOM :eek: :rotflmao Just kidding Ive mixed them both. Nothing bad happened :cool

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I talked to a Ford Tech in Mandan, ND and he laughed when I said I had a jug of 911 and a quart of Howes in the tanks. I ws being a little overboard since I was told by other Tech in Omaha that my fuel gelled......