Tons of grayish white smoke

IH444t

Reaction score
So I did new injectors and return lines all the way around one injector was dry when pulled out and all others were wet and put hypermax intake and afe air filter, when I start my truck she runs rough for a while and pours out gray smoke. It also seems to maybe have a exhaust leak at the downpipe. Before the injectors we're change it did smoke, but not a lot. Anyone have any ideas maybe needs a new injection pump?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know the status and health of your IP (injection pump)? How many miles etc?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the smoke only at startup? Does it ever clear up?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
where did you get the injectors from? new doesnt mean they're working right hahaha i had to put two new lift pumps in my truck because the first was bad. maybe try loosening the lines and see if killing an injector stops the smoke.

just a thought good luck

Black dawg

Reaction score
Do you know where timing is set at? Were the new injectors tested?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bought reman injectors, you have likely found your problem. Only new delhpi BB codes are whats recommended for optimum performance and longevity. If they are new, I would start questioning the IP. New injectors do not pair well with an old IP.

IH444t

Reaction score
The injectors are from Russ, the injection pump could be original I don't know the truck has 225k miles, I dont know the timing on the pump. Just drove it around town and when it got warm it started to clear up.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The injectors are from Russ, the injection pump could be original I don't know the truck has 225k miles, I dont know the timing on the pump. Just drove it around town and when it got warm it started to clear up.

inj from russ,,,your good..check the timing,as his new injectors, will have the pop pressure set right,,and ill bet your old ones were low,,which will throw the timing off.......

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If unknown miles on the pump, I'd say replace it. If you don't now, you will soon, as the higher pressure required to pop the new injectors will wear out an old pump quickly.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are good to go with those injectors. If you have the equipment to properly time engine, try that first. It sounds like your IP is showing it's wrinkles.

IH444t

Reaction score
I don't know how to time and I don't have the equipment the person who is closes to me is 3 1/2 hour drive to Dallas.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It seems typical to me to be blowing out a good bit of light gray/white smoke when its cold. See it all the time with all kinds of vehicles in the winter with the low temps. Mine naturally blows way more than the average vehicle of course..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to time and I don't have the equipment the person who is closes to me is 3 1/2 hour drive to Dallas.

Gary, aka icanfixall has a great timing meter rental program.
70 bucks and comes with everything you need to time your truck
its soooo simple, even my 15 year old could do it.
(if you dont forget the injection line probe :) )
im doing mine today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online